Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

sluggish starter motor '96

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 02:42 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 605 Likes on 515 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default sluggish starter motor '96

The starter motor on my '96 is becoming very sluggish

This symptom has been getting worse and it is apparent to be worse with heat, to the extent it wouldnt turn over today when very hot, cooled down for a couple of hours, and it will turn over

I have swapped batteries,and they measure good, cleaned earths & cables

The starter motor has oil dripping on it from the adaptor o-ring, for an unknown time prior to my ownership. Will fit as soon as the parts arrive in a few days

Is it a common issue for a starter to go bad in this manner ?? (getting sluggish due to oil bath)

my next step is to swap in a used starter
Old 12-07-2018, 03:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Way back when I had a '79 Malibu that the starter in it did the same thing. I always figured it was thermal failure. In my '00 XJ my starter started acting up. Go to start, nothing, little love tap, and it started right up. When it happened a second time I just bit the bullet and bought a new starter. It had a fair amount of oil on it. Always figured that was what made it start to act up. Thing is oil was not getting on to it from the oil adapter ring. My theory was that the starter got doused over the years from changing the oil. I always cover the starter with rags when removing the filter.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I would start by doing a voltage drop test between the battery and the starter (you can google/youtube that). If there is significant voltage drop, then I would focus on cleaning up connections and the condition of the cables between the battery and starter. If there is no voltage drop, then I would begin to consider replacing the starter.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:55 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Yes, that's common with oil soaked starters.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:53 PM
awg
CF Veteran

it was the starter, but it put me through a rigmarole to fix

installed a spare starter I had loose, and found only got a solenoid click...furthermore, the old starter worked on the bench

doubting myself, I swapped out first the + cables, then earth from a known working vehicle, no joy

remove the starter from my spare, noting how easy it is to get that top bolt on a lifted vehicle

install in other vehicle, and we have success!..only took 30min to remove both starters and install one 2nd time round

probably strip them and see if I can get one going to move my spare XJ

having an identical vehicle that is fully operational is a godsend to keeping these older units on the road

Used to have International Scouts
Old 12-08-2018, 07:12 AM

A guy like you would probably enjoy disassembling the starter and cleaning it all out with brake cleaner.

I've done it 3 or 4 times with success.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:06 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
A guy like you would probably enjoy disassembling the starter and cleaning it all out with brake cleaner.

I've done it 3 or 4 times with success.
by a "guy like me" you mean a masochist..lol

So i do need to get my black spare Jeep moving, strip down both SMs, the one out of my vehicle is Chrysler original, unit is dirty and brushes are very worn, so I set it aside, and looked at the other

I had purchased it from a Jeep owning mechanic who carried many spares for his outback expeditions. It had been overhauled with new brushes,
however, I see the brush retaining springs are not original style, an inferior design, and two have slipped off the brushes. I manage to get it back together, tests ok on bench, mount the b!tch, and it still only clicks!

ok..clean & assemble the one that has just failed, looks like it should work, will test & mount it 2morrow. Meanwhile a brand new AC-Delco is winging its way across the Country for way less than half price

I do not know whether new brush kit assembly is available for these units?...if so, that is generally all that would be needed to get them going again imo
Old 12-09-2018, 06:50 AM

take the solenoid apart.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:08 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
take the solenoid apart.
thanks for your tips on this.

for the benefit of future travellers with Starter motors

It appears the problem must be pitted main contacts within the solenoid..it does not appear these can be accessed, although possibly the case can be pried apart, and contacts filed

prior to removing this SM, I shorted all 3 bolts with a ring spanner, and it started instantly. I suppose I could have left it in my lifted spare, but decided to install the other cleaned up SM, and it works fine

While they were both out, I performed the following test..short a 30amp wire across the 3 terminals..one SM ran much slower than the other

In the past, on another vehicle, I did replace solenoid points..they are physically closed by the solenoid plunger when it is energised, and take the big current to the starter motor.

They become pitted, and simply wont pass enough current to spin the car engine (100+ amps), but will still spin the starter..a few amps

watch this youtube before u dismantle one

the brush assembly must be detached from cover to assemble. All screws very tight, I needed an impact gun, correct bits + valve grind paste
Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by awg
thanks for your tips on this.

for the benefit of future travellers with Starter motors

It appears the problem must be pitted main contacts within the solenoid..it does not appear these can be accessed, although possibly the case can be pried apart, and contacts filed

prior to removing this SM, I shorted all 3 bolts with a ring spanner, and it started instantly. I suppose I could have left it in my lifted spare, but decided to install the other cleaned up SM, and it works fine

While they were both out, I performed the following test..short a 30amp wire across the 3 terminals..one SM ran much slower than the other

In the past, on another vehicle, I did replace solenoid points..they are physically closed by the solenoid plunger when it is energised, and take the big current to the starter motor.

They become pitted, and simply wont pass enough current to spin the car engine (100+ amps), but will still spin the starter..a few amps

watch this youtube before u dismantle one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW6f1VK8nv8

the brush assembly must be detached from cover to assemble. All screws very tight, I needed an impact gun, correct bits + valve grind paste
I'm in Arizona. Fasteners are more cooperative. I didn't take the brush holder off. can't remember how I did it. Seem to remember something about paper clips.....