Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

slowwwww work in project;ideas but no direction

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default slowwwww work in project;ideas but no direction

ok so i kno ive posted couple of threads about if i should do this or what brand to go with on alot of stuff and still have not yet done hardly any of it to my poor lil Xj. rite now im still in school and have been workin to find a job. but all day durin school i work on a list, have been for a few weeks now. i know everyone has a list of things they wanna do to their jeep. well mine is quite large, but suprisingly i have almost half of it so far already done. just little things that not many people would notice but make mine unique. so heres a good question! has anyone put in a sun roof"not one that slides back, the ones that just pop out" i really think that would be a fun thing to have, and i dont really know if you can get them bigger than the regular sizes, but i would kinda want one that would reach from upfront to over the back seat. i dont know if theres any way to get one like that. if not wat about just 2 small ones?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Originally Posted by 95Forrest
i would kinda want one that would reach from upfront to over the back seat. i dont know if theres any way to get one like that.
I agree that would be pretty cool, but I think it would end up being A LOT of fab work as there is no kit I know of to do it.

I pretty sure those two cross members are important. You might be able to get away with removing them if you did a custom roll cage or an exoskeleton.

You also may able to get something like this: http://www.donmar.com/sunroofs/tslider.htm that is a "universal fit." If you can swing that stuff then just cut up the headliner and maybe add a little fiber glass to make it look nice and recover it.

Personally I like the idea but if I where you I'd probably just go with three smaller ones to avoid those cross members.

EDIT: Hmmmmm, also forgot about those beeds running along the top . . . you'd almost have to completely cut them out and weld in sheet metal to let the glass seat in any sort of water tight way. . .

Last edited by Schmoozer; 05-01-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.

If you google it, there's a kit to put a retractable canvas top in the roof. I've seen it done and it works pretty well
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by BudgetXJ
If you google it, there's a kit to put a retractable canvas top in the roof. I've seen it done and it works pretty well
http://www.slidingragtops.com/17.html ???

I wonder what the did about those cross members? Hope it never rolls . . .
Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Those crossmembers really only support the roof. If you roll an XJ, chances are the roof's gonna cave anyway. At least if you're going at any rate of speed.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by BudgetXJ
Those crossmembers really only support the roof. If you roll an XJ, chances are the roof's gonna cave anyway. At least if you're going at any rate of speed.
Really? Would that make going doorless more dangerous in a roll over? I haven't gotten deep enough into mine yet to see how the unibody ties in with the pillars.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Some say that going doorless does weaken the overall structure. The thing is, how fast are you going to be going when you are doorless in situations where a roll is likely? I think that if you roll it its probably going to be more of a flop on its side. If you are planning on putting yourself in situations where you could potentially roll over multiple times, like down a hill or something, you'll probably want some sort of a cage regardless of if you have doors or not.

If anything, I'd be worried about flex more than anything when it comes to removing doors. I flexed my old xj to the point that I couldn't open the doors when flexed. I'm not sure but the doors might limit the body flex somewhat. I plan on plating the "frame" rails before I do any hard flexing this time as my new one is pretty straight.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 AM

Well mines a dd, i was thinking about going doorless this summer if I can get a locking center console sometime soon, so I was thinking more like highway speed, i guess its not a good thing no matter how you cut it.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Seasoned Member

I don't really think it'll make much difference at highway speed. You really aren't very likely to roll during regular driving, unless s*** happens, in which case at least the heeps gonna be screwed whether you have doors or not. Its probably a little safer to have them but I doubt it will be the difference between writing off the jeep