Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

slow to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default slow to start

So recently it has been taking a bit longer to start up then normal. It still starts and runs fine, but it usually would fire up almost immediately. I also have recently gotten the p0455 code (large evap system leak), could that be causing the slow start? I already got plans to get it smoked to find the leak next week, but is there something else i should be looking for at the same time?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I think it's very likely that you have two things going on and they are probably not related.

1. The evaporative leak, confirmed by the P0455 code
2. The extended crank time issue

A smoke test is a great idea, but what I always do first for this code is to eliminate the gas cap as a cause. Be sure it is tightened properly and or replace it with a new Mopar cap. A poor seal on the gas cap can absolutely trigger this code. Here is more on the P0455 (large evaporative leak)

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0455

As for the extended cranking time before starting, it's likely that you are experiencing a failing fuel pump assembly check valve. Here's more on that.

Good luck and keep us posted!
-----------------------------------------------------------
The check valves (there are two of them; the primary one is on the fuel pressure regulator and a secondary one can be found on the fuel pump itself) are part of the fuel pump assembly on 95.5-2001 vintage 4.0 XJs. When a check valve starts to fail, it can reduce fuel pressure to a point where an extended cranking time is needed to start the engine. It is a very common failure. I experienced it on my 99 at around 75K.

A good (and simple) first step in helping you troubleshoot this problem is called “the poor mans prime”

1. Turn key to ON position (do not crank the engine!)
2. The fuel pump will energize and run for about 2 seconds. Be sure to wait until it stops running.
3. Turn key to OFF position
4. Repeat above steps 1-3 two more times
5. NOW crank the engine over

If the engine starts quickly and cleanly after performing this procedure, you may have a check valve issue. If it starts and runs poorly for a few seconds, it could also be a leaky fuel injector resulting in the fuel pressure leaking down and the subsequent stumble upon startup is the engine clearing the excess fuel that has leaked into the cylinder because of the faulty injector.

Also be aware that a bad battery can give you starting symptoms as well. Have your battery load tested (any parts store will do this for free) if you have any doubt; your XJ does NOT like low available battery voltage. Be sure battery connections and posts are CLEAN.

Some troubleshooting tips for extended crank times. You will need a fuel pressure gauge. Many parts stores will rent you this tool inexpensively.

*Hook up fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail under the hood

*Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

*Observe fuel pressure gauge. Normal operating pressure should be 49.2 psi (plus or minus 5 psi)

*Shut engine off.

*Observe pressure on gauge. Pressure should not fall below 30 psi for five minutes.

If pressure falls below 30 psi, it must be determined if a fuel injector, a check valve within the
fuel pump assembly, or a fuel tube/line is leaking. An adaptor tool/hose normally included with the fuel pressure gauge can help you with this. Consult the manual that comes with the fuel pressure gauge and the Factory Service Manual for your year XJ for more information on this exact procedure, but here is basically how it works:

*Turn the engine off and immediately clamp the fuel line at the adaptor hose. Watch the pressure gauge and see how long it takes to lose pressure.

*If the pressure remains at 49 psi for an extended period of time then the problem is in the tank – most likely a check valve. If the pressure falls below 49 psi fairly rapidly then the problem is probably a leaky fuel injector.

**Note. Where check valve is suspect, a quick loss of fuel pressure is often the fuel pressure regulator check valve and a slow loss of pressure is often the fuel pump check valve. But keep in mind that either or both check valves can be to blame.

You can limp a check valve problem along indefinitely if you like, as it doesn't mean the fuel pump itself is going to fail. Perform the “poor mans prime” before cranking to speed up your starts. However, if you have a check valve issue and want to resolve it, it is recommended that you replace the entire fuel pump assembly for two reasons. First, you have to drop the gas tank to access the assembly. Secondly, with two check valves, replacing just the fuel pressure regulator where one of the check valve resides may or may not resolve your problem; remember there are two check valves; the other check valve is part of the fuel pump.

The fuel pump assembly consists of fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel gauge sending unit, fuel gauge float, pickup filter and pigtail wiring harness. If you do replace the fuel pump assembly, purchase a high quality assembly. Know this….you do get what you pay for here. Some cheap aftermarket assemblies have been known to fail prematurely. I personally prefer Bosch fuel pumps as they manufacture the best fuel pump assemblies for the XJ. Carter is my second choice. Airtex is my least favorite choice and I will not recommend or install them. A search will show you why.

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-24-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info! Now i got a couple leads for getting both problems resolved.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:21 PM

will this work for testing the pressure on the rail? http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html
Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by eignub
will this work for testing the pressure on the rail? http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html
Yea that would work.

Or you could just go to O'reillys and rent one for free(it costs $ up front but when you return it you get the money back) Plus this one is better quality, up to you really.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by JeepMN
Yea that would work.

Or you could just go to O'reillys and rent one for free(it costs $ up front but when you return it you get the money back) Plus this one is better quality, up to you really.
You may even be able to do it in their parking lot free of charge like the scanners.