Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Slow crank when engine is warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l- 6
Default Slow crank when engine is warm

Sorry about the long post...

So another issue cropped up today. In the heat of the day, when I stop for a quick pick up. Something like getting the mail at the mail box, and try to re-start the Jeep, it has a very slow crank over, like your battery is going dead and it won't fire. Then when you let it sit for 5 minutes and it cools a little bit it fires up but it seams a little slower than normal but it will start. I am not talking about slow, like excessive crank time to start but slow as in rotational engine RMP's are slow. You'd almost expect the slow crank over to fade out into a tick tick tick but it will continue to crank the engine over slowly. You can even try to start it again right away with the same issue. When you let it sit for 5 minutes it will fire right up. I replace some electrical components already because the ignition coil was bad when I bought it. The battery is fine it was load tested as I though that might be the issue. I also refreshed the grounds. The ground wire was already upgraded to a thicker gauge wire by the PO, and I installed some new battery terminals during my basic troubleshooting. I also traced out most of the grounds (all of the grounds that I could find), took out the terminals and wire brushed them while I was hunting down the doesn't start issue. Replaced some bad grommet connectors as well, that were corroded nothing very surprising. It is leaking coolant and some oil over the ground connectors on the dipstick tube, but that ground area is cleaned up and there is an additional ground wired up to the chassis coming directly from the negative battery terminal. My head gasket has a leak but it doesn't run excessively hot, and I don't have the temperature light come on. Interestingly when I first fired it up it had been sitting and made a noise like a bad bearing but it wasn't from inside of the engine, it sounded more like a belt component. I checked the components and re-installed the serpentine belt, and checked it for correct adjustment. I have not heard the noise sense. Every component on the belt path seamed to turn freely and had no feel of a worn bearing feeling about it. It was also tested for compression which was still in factory spec, a little on the low side but really pretty surprisingly solid for 180k miles. After I had my issue of the very slow crank over (like 3 seconds in between full turn over compression cycles). I jiggled the ground cables, and pushed and pulled on the serpentine belt and it cranks over quickly and it was running OK for a few days, then the problem came back. I tried re wire brushing the connector that keeps getting dirty, and that's not it because it was cleaned up and still had the problem. Its happening when running it for 40 minutes in the heat of the day. Sometime I can drive it around and it fires right up every time, other days you get a slow crank over and have to play with it. Think there is a grounding issue or another issue. The starter is after market, cant tell what brand but it looks OE, I have installed a new fuel pump and I have re-pressure tested the fuel line it is in spec. I tugged at the belt and jiggled the ground wire the belt was tight, tighter then when I had installed it, but I had no tools to take measure of the belt tension. It wasn't excessively tight. Also I have tested the alternator. It is also an aftermarket alternator, and it is charging the battery at 14V when it is charging and keeping it steady. The connection to the battery seems to be solid. Terminals through the cables all appears OK and are getting a consistent voltage. There is no strange dimming or draining of the battery going on like I did have before. I have also load tested the battery over night and it passed. What do I check for? Because its so flaky right now I parked it and figured that I would get started swapping out my head gasket. Most of the stuff I will need should be here this week and i do have my motorcycle for a little while. I am at a loss for what to check next? it seems OK, and it only happens when the engine is warmed up. I have the budget dash so I have a read warning light that doesn't come on for temp or coolant. it has not come on, no steam, or anything. The coolant cap is sealed, and the coolant doesn't bubble, there are good coolant levels still fresh and I have not had to replace any coolant. The head gasket leak is between cyl 3-4 on the block and its at that head bolt on the passenger side of the engine. I think mainly its leaking towards the outside of the block, its not a bad leak though, and it runs pretty well still. Do you think its perhaps a starter motor?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Is your starter motor soaked in oil and coolant? If so, that could be your problem.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ITA with Cruiser, sounds like the starter is having heat issues. Cleaning any "insulation" off of it might help.
They are located right in the wrong place, lol...they collect every bit of oil that drips it seems.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Engine: 4.0l- 6

That's probably it, ha it did have gunk on it. I have sprayed out the engine bay at least once. Alrighty then.... fine fine I'll fix the head gasket already
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: I6

sounds like a starter issue. i had a 92 xj that done that same thing till the starter quit. i replaced it and never had another problem with it
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: I6

sounds like a starter issue. i had a 92 xj that done that same thing till the starter quit. i replaced it and never had another problem with it. when hot the brushes start dragging
Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon
Alrighty then.... fine fine I'll fix the head gasket already
About time. Shampoo the carpet too while you're at it.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Radi
About time. Shampoo the carpet too while you're at it.
Yeah. And we know about the soda you spilled in the console, too.

Cheap fix is to remove the starter and disassemble it. Really easy. Spray out all the accumulated junk and reassemble.
Stop by Walgreen's and get the extra large Depends and wrap the starter with one pair of them. As they get saturated, replace them.