Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Slight Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
jor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Slight Clunk

98 Cherokee

My Cherokee runs well and shifts fine when accelerating from a stop. However, it behaves inconsistently when coming to a stop. For example, when I am coasting up to a stop, just before coming to a complete stop, I feel a very slight clunk as the trans shifts down into first. At other times, the downshift doesn't occur until I accelerate from a complete stop. Is this normal? All I've done thus far is change the trans fluid. Didn't make any difference. Thanks.
jor
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by jor
98 Cherokee

My Cherokee runs well and shifts fine when accelerating from a stop. However, it behaves inconsistently when coming to a stop. For example, when I am coasting up to a stop, just before coming to a complete stop, I feel a very slight clunk as the trans shifts down into first. At other times, the downshift doesn't occur until I accelerate from a complete stop. Is this normal? All I've done thus far is change the trans fluid. Didn't make any difference. Thanks.
jor
Welcome to the forum! I had a similar issue and this is what I did.

Remove the rear driveshaft from the rear differential, mark the position of each yoke at the differential so it goes back in the same. Grab some high temp grease, or some marine grease, or bearing grease, and lather the inside splines of the yoke that goes to the transfer case, get it a lot in there, enough to evenly fill all the splines at least a quarter of the way. (I like to coat the outside a bit too but its not really neccessary.) Place the driveshaft back in position, use your marks at the differential side to help, and work the yoke into the tcase a few times to distribute the grease. Install your driveshaft and torque to spec!

Hope that helps! Some other things it might be are your motor and transmission mounts, but your vehicle isn't very old so id be surprised if that was the case.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM
jor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I'll give that a try today. Also check the mounts. It has 144K miles btw. I'm just going through it now. I'm going to be pulling it behind my RV. Did the brakes and common tune up stuff. Haven't changed fluid in transfer case yet as the rinked up,fix for a warbled out plug broke off. Gotta find someone to weld another on.
jor
Name:  plug_zps70bc2bfb.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  57.3 KB

Last edited by jor; 03-18-2013 at 02:19 PM.