Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Simple interior issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Simple interior issues.

Urg. One of those days where every simple thing I'm trying to fix goes wrong.

First thing i tried to fix is the rear hatch panel. The thing rattles so I got a bunch of used plastic clips from the JY i work at to fix it. When i went too pull off mine. I broke every tab. Didn't brake the clips, but the parts that hold them to the panel. Anyone have any tips on pulling these with out breaking them. Cause I now need to replace mine and i don't want to ruin the one I'm going to pull at work.

Also I had two fix a couple of inside door handles. Basically just pull them loose, and put on a new plastic keeper and slide the rod back in the hole. But by the time i pry the rod over enough to get it in the hole I end up messing up the door handles. They function now. They work. But one now pokes out weird and the other one when you pull the handle to open the door it opens but the handle doesn't return to the closed position without pushing it in. Should i be pulling the door panels when i go to fix these?

I also found out when i pulled my hatch that i have no rear speakers, or wiring to install rear speakers. My Cherokee is former police vehicle.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I use a screwdriver as close to the "shaft" of those clips as possible, back and forth on both sides. Gently prying.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 PM
G_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O

The factory clips on the rear hatch panels suck. I used a bunch of stainless steel sheet metal screws with trim washers to hold it in place. Its a PITA to remove but it does not rattle and you'll rip the whole hatch off the Jeep before you rip that panel off!