Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Signals not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Signals not working

Hello everyone,

So I have been helping a friend work on his 96 Cherokee Sport, his headlights weren't working, so I was going thru the list of easier stuff to check before replacing the switch. So I checked the fuses, I ended up replacing them since they all looked super old, but I checked the connector in the engine bay, that I read gets nasty from water, which it was, so I cleaned that, and checked the sockets on the bulbs, and it ended up being the switch, but some how while doing that the signal stopped working, but the hazards still do.
So I checked the fuse, and it was new, but I did see that there was only one metal tab for the fuse to slot into, is that normal?
I checked the voltage on the connector to the lights up front, and the signals are not getting voltage with the stalk, but they are for the hazards.
Also while doing research on this matter, I found that this jeep doesn't have the same relays as others, it doesn't use the circle ones on the fuse box, but square ones on a panel thats at the drivers right knee on the metal cover thing.
I'm working on getting a manual so I can see the wiring schematic, and just trace the path of the signal wires from the stalk.
Any suggestions on what it could be?
Thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Did you happen to get a good look at the headlight switch connect when you changed the switch?

When my headlight switch went out, it was because this connector had melted and was causing weird grounding problems. Now it could have been a coincidence, but my turn signals wouldn't wrk whenever my headlights were on, after I changed the switch. I knew I had to change the connector because it had melted, and after I changed that, everything worked again.

I'm not very good with following wiring diagrams so have no idea what would have been getting messed up by this, and that's why I say it might have been a coincidence, but you might want to give it a good look to see if the plastic plug has melted at all.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 PM

I could be it, because the switch did melt, and when you pull the headlights on the left dash arrow for the signal comes on.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:35 PM

If it melted, then I'd start with replacing that. It almost impossible without pulling the gauge cluster, but even doing that only took me about 10 minutes on my 96. Then once it was out, the connector is right there. Splice the new one in and put in all back together. Shouldn't take more than hour or two at the most, and the connector is available at most parts stores.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 PM

Good deal, We are about to replace it now.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM

So does anyone have the pin out of the connector? I think one of my splices did connect well, and the dash lights don't work. And signals still don't work.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:28 PM

Hey guys. So we replaced the switch and connector everything with the headlights work now. Dash lights work. But the signals still don't work, and on the cluster the left signal arrow is lit up, when the lights are on.
is there a ground that all of that connects too?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 PM

I also had problems with the plug that is behind the spare tire, between the quarter panel and the plastic. I changed up all the sockets, but it ended up being that plug that got corroded. My symptoms weren't the same, but its not that hard to get at, so maybe check that out?
Old 03-06-2015, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Hazards working its not the wiring . Its the flasher for turn signal most likely.
Unsure what year multi flasher was introduced.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 AM

Yea, I popped open the ralay because I've read it can crack and such, but it looks brand new on the inside, would that also cause the one indicator arrow on the cluster to light up when the headlights are on?
Old 03-07-2015, 03:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Josh Buchanan
Yea, I popped open the ralay because I've read it can crack and such, but it looks brand new on the inside, would that also cause the one indicator arrow on the cluster to light up when the headlights are on?
A bulb on that sides not working in parking light setting.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:36 AM

Like just the replace the bulb on the side marker?
Because I only messed with one side of the headlight, I removed and checked the headlight bulb, and the two others. The little side marker bulb can mess everything up?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Member

I had this issue on my '96... hazards work, signals don't. Finally found the problem in a corroded fuse socket in the fuse block under the dash. Turn the key on and turn the signals on and start wiggling fuses while listening for the relay to click in... weird thing is it was a fuse it isn't supposed to have.

As for the one indicator on the dash lighting up and staying on, haven't run into that one before. Sounds as if it may be getting instrument illumination voltage from somewhere... does the arrow dim when you dim the rest of the dash?

Good luck!