Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Should I use Seafoam????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Should I use Seafoam????

it's a 98xj with 130 000 miles on it (had to convert cause it's 209 000 kilometers in Canada )
just had a tune up and it still has a rough idle to it.
would it be safe for the seals and stuff????
heard things good and bad.....
better MPG?
Power?
Looking for help from the more experienced than myself, Thanks!

BTW - it did overheat in the summer at a stop (damn drive-thru!).... started shaking bad so I let it cool down for 1 hr and no probs since
Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ

I swear by seafoam, I love it. Just use it as directed for your fuel system, air intake system and crank case. If this does not help your problem. Remove the IAC and clean it with parts brake cleaner
Old 11-11-2009, 01:14 PM

thanks.
Anyone had problems with it?
Old 11-28-2009, 12:37 AM

Location: Quantico, VA and West Chester, PA soon to be Pensacola, FL
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Cyl.

I found this on youtube..and I found it extremely helpful to answer some questions I had. Just figured I would add it to your thread. gonna sea foam my XJ tomorrow....98 with 150,000...hope i dont create any leakes. the major issues ive been reading about have to deal with whether or not you can add it to the crank case...it says you can...bus is that realisitically a good idea because of what its effects might be on the oil...im skeptical, but figure if i change the oil afterward then i eliminate that risk and still get the clean. anyways...i found it a reasuring source....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=hZyz-np6tDI
Old 11-28-2009, 01:31 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by warthog
I swear by seafoam, I love it. Just use it as directed for your fuel system, air intake system and crank case. If this does not help your problem. Remove the IAC and clean it with parts brake cleaner
Same here, I have a 91. and I've run seafoam through it twice. after each time it runs smoother afterwards and the difference is noticable. for the third and final time i'll probably buy a can of deep creep and couple it with a bunch of other little things that need doing. Seafoam is basically just a solvent, so don't let it sit too long, but it works wonders.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Seafoam is great stuff. However if you run it directly into the intake you can knock out the O2 sensor. Just use it in the gas tank. A can in a 1/4 tank will do the same as putting directly into the intake.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:21 AM

Location: Quantico, VA and West Chester, PA soon to be Pensacola, FL
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Cyl.

I just know people are searching seafoam with questions, so ill just post my results here to consolidate and not clutter the forum.

I seafoamed it up today. felt like i threw a really good smoke grenade the way my jeep was billowing...couldnt see my neighbors Audi S4...serves him right for having such a fine automobile so close to me.

i digress, the results were astounding. I was skeptical on where to use it, but ended up doing the 1/3 in the crank (canged the oil after letting it run for 5-10 min) 1/3 in the TB, and also 1/3 in the fuel tank...

my 150,000 mile 98 XJ ran as if Jesus himself were spinning the wheels. That stuff is amazing. i guess my seals and stuff are okay...cause no leaks so far...*crosses fingers*

Conclusively, im thinking yes, you should seafoam, everyone should seafoam.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Yes, give it a go. I used it shortly after I bought mine and just before I did the first oil change. It is wonderful stuff! My next oil change is due soon and I will be using more just for good measure.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Where did you add it to the intake?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:53 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MVDCXJ
Where did you add it to the intake?
Pretty much any larger vac line going straight to the intake manifold. I used it on an '85 300zxt. I pulled the brake booster vac line off and let the motor suck in about a third of a can. Actually the motor will die quickly unless you keeps the revs up. After a third to a half a can or when the motors dies (don't worry...figure of speech) reattach the vac line and let it sit for a few. Then crank it up and watch the show. Might be a good idea to do it at night or in a remote area. If your motor is really carboned up there will be lots of smoke. Another good idea is to use an old o2 sensor when you do this. Reinstall your good sensor after the smoke clears.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0I

I just used Seafoam on mine. 140k, had a sticky lifter and felt sluggish. I thought she was at the end of her rope. Did the 1/3 in crank, 1/3 in brake booster vac line, and 1/3 in gas tank. My neighbor came running out of his garage with a fire extinguisher! I stopped him before he pulled the pin.
But WOW!! No more ticking from the lifter, idles better and has more power! Just a week later I took it in for state IM and inspection. Passed and with better #s than the year before! I plan on doing it again next oil change!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by mike89xj
Pretty much any larger vac line going straight to the intake manifold. I used it on an '85 300zxt. I pulled the brake booster vac line off and let the motor suck in about a third of a can. Actually the motor will die quickly unless you keeps the revs up. After a third to a half a can or when the motors dies (don't worry...figure of speech) reattach the vac line and let it sit for a few. Then crank it up and watch the show. Might be a good idea to do it at night or in a remote area. If your motor is really carboned up there will be lots of smoke. Another good idea is to use an old o2 sensor when you do this. Reinstall your good sensor after the smoke clears.

I'm a beginner and confused on how you pulled this off.

First off, is the vac line you are talking about the big one coming off the air filter?
Next, was the engine running when you poured in seafoam?
If it dies once too much is poured in do I need someone revving the engine as I pour?
Finally, I just recently replaced the O2 sensor and changed the oil. Should I just remove the new O2 sensor and go with nothing or do I need one on there?

I'm having the seemingly common problem of a low idle and stall when I let off the gas and I've been recommended sea foam. I'm hoping to pull it off without any additional costs.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by saltybob
I'm a beginner and confused on how you pulled this off.

First off, is the vac line you are talking about the big one coming off the air filter?
Next, was the engine running when you poured in seafoam?
If it dies once too much is poured in do I need someone revving the engine as I pour?
Finally, I just recently replaced the O2 sensor and changed the oil. Should I just remove the new O2 sensor and go with nothing or do I need one on there?

I'm having the seemingly common problem of a low idle and stall when I let off the gas and I've been recommended sea foam. I'm hoping to pull it off without any additional costs.
The recommended way to do seafoam is through a vac line. I recommend taking the intake hose off the throttle body and pouring it straight in there as it'll clean the IAC sensor TPS, and the throttle plate while assuring you get seafoam into all of the cylinders. you don't have to take the 02 sensor out or anything, just pour it in enough to bog the engine down but not so much as to make it stall. pour about 1/3 into the engine and then dump enough in to stall the engine. let it sit for 15-20 minutes and crank it back up.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:36 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Normally people use the large Vac line coming off the Brake Booster, pry it off,put a funnel in it,POUR SLOWLY, you should be able to just reach over and use your other hand to crank the throttle open at the Throttle Body lever,it really only needs maybe 1,200-1,500 RPMS to not die if u are doing it right,turn it off quickly afterwards and let it sit like 5-10 minutes,turn it back on and revit a little,let it idle,rev it a little,ETC. I have poured it right onto the TB butterfly valve( So that it runs off the side in a little stream and atomizes) with no bad results. I for one did not have any o2 sensor trouble but thats just me. Hope that helps.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
The recommended way to do seafoam is through a vac line. I recommend taking the intake hose off the throttle body and pouring it straight in there as it'll clean the IAC sensor TPS, and the throttle plate while assuring you get seafoam into all of the cylinders. you don't have to take the 02 sensor out or anything, just pour it in enough to bog the engine down but not so much as to make it stall. pour about 1/3 into the engine and then dump enough in to stall the engine. let it sit for 15-20 minutes and crank it back up.

So I do not need to be concerned about blowing my O2 sensor? I am anticipating a lot of smoke.

Also, are there any detailed engine component guides online or should I just buy the one at Pep Boys?

Quick Reply: Should I use Seafoam????