Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Should I trade for a 2000+ Jeep Cherokee Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Should I trade for a 2000+ Jeep Cherokee Sport?

Now before I get started, I would appreciate if you came across this with the economy, my age etc in mind. Obviously if you belong to this forum you at the very least "like" your jeep. I love jeeps myself but here is where I'm at

I own a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES which I have treated like gold. I just put on new tires and got a new rad and I have used high mileage oil on the past 2 changes over 75k. It's a fine car with the gas mileage you would expect from a 4 door sedan. But the problem is I just don't love it. I just use it because I need a vehicle. I completely envy people who love their cars no matter how crappy they are. Now I have come to love jeeps ever since my buddies had them. But I know very little about them

I know that A) My friend treats his like complete crap. He shifts like an idiot, doesn't even bother to warm up the car so on. The thing has 220k on it and it still drives fine. He had one transmission change on it at around 140k

B) My other friend has one and treats it right and it has no problems what so ever

C) they may have electrical problems

D) It gets about 16/22 city/highway mileage

Taking this all into account, what can I expect if I do trade? How much are common and major repair costs compared to my Galant? I'm calling my insurance tomorrow, but will it be roughly the same monthly cost? I'm referring to cherokee sport with the 4 liter engine.

Any other information or advice would be great. I'm merely entertaining this idea so don't think I'm running out soon. Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

You can get those Jeeps to have better gas milage than the Mitsu, I'm proof of that...
If you're mechanical, or at least willing to study up, listen to others, and try it yourself, It's cheaper than hell. Common costs aren't all that bad, water pumps and alternators being about the worst of the reg. stuff, ball joints, tie rod ends and u-joints after that.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

Welcome to the forum from NC

What do you want the Cherokee for a grocery getter, mild off roader, mall crawler, or never see pavement again. I vote keep your car and go buy you an older good running cheroot for 2000 or less, you can find some good pre built ones for around that price. Depending on your level of mechanics you can get one for 500 stock and fix it up and get it running good cheaply. We can always help if your willing to listen.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy3
You can get those Jeeps to have better gas milage than the Mitsu, I'm proof of that...
If you're mechanical, or at least willing to study up, listen to others, and try it yourself, It's cheaper than hell. Common costs aren't all that bad, water pumps and alternators being about the worst of the reg. stuff, ball joints, tie rod ends and u-joints after that.

^^ very true, also probaly a lot easer to work on than the mitts. more room in the engine bay to move your hands and tools around in

Last edited by REWSTER; 01-15-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM

personally, I enjoyed off roading with my friend but I'm really too busy with other things right now to take that up as a hobby. I just want something that I can drive to school/work with. I'll be getting a bike eventually but I need a car since I live in New York. And if I can make a smooth trade then I would love to get a cherokee sport since I'm not feelin the Galant. However, I don't know common repair costs. It's pretty cheap to fix my Galant, but what about a jeep? And insurance is a big part, although I'm sure it can't be MUCH more if it's more money per month. I would also prefer a newer one. I heard better things about the 2000+ compared to the late 90s

thanks for the replies
Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

what do you like about the 00 i have a 00 and i like it cause of the body changes from the older ones but 99 was the last year of dist.cap the 00 have coil on plug so if you have a problem there that would be $ so if you like the boddy style more maybe look into a 97,98,98
i do love my 00 though and wouldnt turn back
Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM

I read that the 2000 and on, I believe. It may have been 2001 and on, anyway I read they had better built engines. Which might be bs but that is just what I read. Plus there was some kind of transmission warranty on them (however I'm sure that would be up). And I do prefer the newer body styles
Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

01 was the last year for the XJ so maybe what you ere reading was about a grand cherokee either way still a very nice truck,
Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i say go for it. they're worth about the same anyways.

besides, you gotta feel it, if you don't feel it, it ain't there. you'll always feel it in a jeep. trust me. i have 7 now, and i love em all.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

being 18 and coming for a 4 door sedan that i did not really love, would recommend getting a cherokee! i love having it, the 4.0 is bulletproof and will run forever, the things you can do to it are endless, the off-roading abilities are amazing and atleast for me, the maintenance has been a breeze and i got 121k. my insurance didn't change from the car to the jeep.
but look around and your sure to find an amazing deal on one, especially on craigslist i sold my 2000 grand am for $5400 and got my 2000 cherokee classic for $2400 and left myself plenty of money for mods!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 PM

thanks guys, I appreciate the kind advice. I know it's probably annoying getting newbies in here asking this question but at least I came back to actuall read your replies haha..

So this is great news. I may or may not lose a few mpg and in return I'll have a badass truck I can actually like. Sounds good to me!

I'll let you guys know if it goes down. take care
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I used to drive a 1999 Saab 9-3 (worn out hand me down), then a 1991 Lexus ES250 (don't even) and now I have my XJ and I am in love with it. It gets better gas mileage than the stupid Lexus did!!!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 PM

yeah older cars are just not up to par in terms of MPG as the ones that are coming out now. Hyundai used to be COMPLETE junk and now my buddies new one gets way better mpg than my galant.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

My 92 XJ still gets about 17-18mpg city, 22 highway (Old Jeep. Weighs a ton. Has 4WD. Aerodynamic as a brick. And how many mpg's do these ricers get?) Now my Monte is around 26 city/35hwy, and it's an '01, but it's also sleek and aerodynamic. (3500# car with a big 6 in it... Yeah, and these imports are better on gas how?)

And nah, we like newbies. You guys make us old guys feel smart and useful. We just put y'all thru "The Rookie Experience" now and then.
Welcome to freshman year all over again. Bennie.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kmfdm22
thanks guys, I appreciate the kind advice. I know it's probably annoying getting newbies in here asking this question but at least I came back to actuall read your replies haha..

So this is great news. I may or may not lose a few mpg and in return I'll have a badass truck I can actually like. Sounds good to me!

I'll let you guys know if it goes down. take care

we like that your asking about our fav. truck JEEP is an addiction and we love talking about it, (like girls like talking about their new shoes) and getting others hooked

Quick Reply: Should I trade for a 2000+ Jeep Cherokee Sport?