Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Should I buy a 2.5l Cherokee for my first car this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Should I buy a 2.5l Cherokee for my first car this weekend?

Hello. This is my first post on the forum. I was looking for a Jeep Cherokee XJ for my first car and I wanted one with the older styling (pre-97'). I wanted one that was from the late 80s or early 90s in the Laredo trim so it would have chrome everything. Last week I stumbled upon a 1984 Jeep Cherokee Wagoneer. It wasn't exactly what I wanted but damn it was in great condition. It is completely stock and completely original. It has the 2.5l engine which I don't know that much about. It is a very unique XJ. It has the early 21 slot chrome grille. Should I buy it this weekend? They are asking $4000.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The 2.5 engine is considered by many to be a less desirable motor for the XJ. For people looking for a "collectable" XJ, perhaps the one you found would be a good option because it is the first year, and somewhat more rare. As a first car, and one that I was going to take care of myself, I would look for a newer model with a 4.0 motor. Almost all of the how-to and reference material on the web and forums is going to revolve around the 4.0 motor. With a 4k budget, you could probably get a decent 4.0 model. (but ultimately, do what you think will make you happy, because ultimately it will be you that is feeding/caring for the vehicle).
Old 06-01-2018, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Miles? The 2.5 motor is a dog, but for a kid's first car I'd be all for it. $4k seems a little steep to me unless it has really low miles though. It does appear to be in good shape.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Agree with the previous posters.

4.0L is most desirable since it's a lot more common and the parts are plentiful and inexpensive.

With 4k to work with, you should be able to get a very nice/clean mid 90's XJ - you just might have to be patient in your search. If you can find a post 1/1/1996 '96 model year, you'll get the old style interior with ODB2 diagnostic ability.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

That is a very collectable XJ! I know most XJ folks don't care much for the first three years of the XJ because the engine choices don't include the 4.0, but they were the first XJs. 84 is pretty hard to find original as it is, and that one is more rare because it is a Base Wagoneer. (Does not have the Woodgrain sides.) I collect the early XJs like that because I see them as a future collectable. A 1984 is on my bucket list for my collection. Not telling you what to buy, but I would hope whoever buys that Jeep keeps it just like it is. If you are looking for a play toy, for $4000 you should be able to find a early to mid 90s with a lift and tires easily. You will be much happier with a 4.0.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by sc4u2c
It wasn't exactly what I wanted
^^^^^^^^^ Get the one you want.

I'm not sure if it's a good comparison, but after my TJ's transmission blew a bearing I was in the position of having to buy a new DD and since gas prices were high and my budget was tight I decided I'd get a late model used corolla and trade it in when I was certain I could sustain a higher car payment and put gas in a new Wrangler. I was told that the fancy options would help with re-sale value, so I got fancy options that I don't like. After the first winter where I was unable to get out of my own driveway I realized that I could not deal without having access to 4wd. I looked into trading in the corolla, but lo and behold, the thing depreciated faster than the loan was being paid off and there was no way I was going to take a couple thousand dollar hit - so I was stuck with a vehicle that I didn't really want and decided at that point that I would never again get a vehicle that I didn't TRULY WANT.

Hold out for what you truly want. Consider that you might want to look at something that's in the 3k range and have some money left over to freshen up/fix stuff on your newly used car. No matter how clean and low mileage a 20-30 year old vehicle is, it's going to need things. Even if it doesn't, you may decide that you want to accessorize, upgrade, put a new stereo and amps and a subwoofer in.. all kinds of things that cost money. If you get any 4wd SUV you're going to pay more at the pump than if you're driving a Honda Civic, so you have to keep that stuff in mind as well.

I'm going on and on, I know, but I wanted to express my opinion and provide whatever advice I can offer. Of course at the end of the day it's your money and your decision, so take any and all opinions with a grain of salt.