Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shocks/Lift/Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Shocks/Lift/Info

Well, since I go ZERO info. from anyone in the "All lift and tire questions go here" Thread, I will post right here!

Few questions..
Need shocks for lift, and a cheap solution would be some Rusty's shocks. Are they okay for the 33$/ea? Can also get a pair of RE twintubes for about 90$ shipped. Or if I can afford it was thinking about going with some Bilstein 5100's About 160$ shipped for a pair.
Anyone that is using the ironman4x4fab bolt-in track bar (the one that uses a factory tie-rod end that is adjustable installed).. How is it? It seems to me that for the price and is a direct bolt in that it is worth it.
Considering using 2nd set of Xj leafs for a bastard pack/lift shackle.. but If I were to go with the OME 2" lift leafs, do you recommend the medium or heavy duty leafs?
The lift coils I have now are about 3.5" (PO says they sagged a bit, so I'm guessing more around 3"-3.25).

Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by Metmknice
Well, since I go ZERO info. from anyone in the "All lift and tire questions go here" Thread, I will post right here!

Few questions..
Need shocks for lift, and a cheap solution would be some Rusty's shocks. Are they okay for the 33$/ea? Can also get a pair of RE twintubes for about 90$ shipped. Or if I can afford it was thinking about going with some Bilstein 5100's About 160$ shipped for a pair.
Anyone that is using the ironman4x4fab bolt-in track bar (the one that uses a factory tie-rod end that is adjustable installed).. How is it? It seems to me that for the price and is a direct bolt in that it is worth it.
Considering using 2nd set of Xj leafs for a bastard pack/lift shackle.. but If I were to go with the OME 2" lift leafs, do you recommend the medium or heavy duty leafs?
The lift coils I have now are about 3.5" (PO says they sagged a bit, so I'm guessing more around 3"-3.25).

Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.
with shocks, and anything for that matter you get what you pay for. the billstiens are good shocks, but quite pricey, go for the RE twins. anything Ironman makes is rock solid and mention you're a forum member if you order from him. dont double up your springs. if you put old saggy springs on top of old saggy springs, than all you have is a tall set of saggy springs. Heavy duty will ride rougher but last longer. if I were you I'd save up some cash and get yourself a full kit (with full rear leafs) from rough country comes with shocks (which you can upgrade for $25 and order a HD steering stabilzer for another 25) also comes with brake line relocation brakets new springs and everything you need. deal directly with rough country, call the 800 number and ask for jason he'll give you a forum discount. they have great customer service.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

For the rear leafs, I was going to add the spare main leaf to my pack an an extended shackle. Since the arch is similar it gives a little bit of a boost in height. I already have some lift springs for the front, why would I want to WASTE money on a full kit, if I already have half of it?