Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

shiming the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default shiming the hood?

alright. i saw a post earilier on shimming the rear of the hood to act like a hood vent.. i know he used 1 inch spacers .. but do you think wood would be alright to use?

Last edited by spahr69; 06-18-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, it works, but it's not as safe as doing vents. Check out this thread:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/hood-vent-28184/
I did the same to mine and love it. Took about 2.5 hours total time and about $20.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:05 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If you decide to shim the hood, I wouldn't use wood. The weather over time will rot it making it unsafe. I went with vents. GenRight makes affordable vents. Mine were Jeep Wrangler hood side vents for around $56.00.
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Originally Posted by no rdplz
I did the same to mine and love it. Took about 2.5 hours total time and about $20.
X2 I did something like this and love it. Much safer to.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:34 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Got mine on eBay for under $20 and they have worked great for the last year I have had them on. Summer, Winter, spring and fall with no problems...Tj
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: bombproof i6

Originally Posted by no rdplz

how is it not safe?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Karmashwarma
how is it not safe?
Some will say that the bolts can shear and cause the hood to go through the glass. This however is false. Putting spacers under the hood will not create any more stress on the bolts in the event of an accident then if left as stock. The hood will fold as it is designed too. Just an Internet myth.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 liter

well thanks for all the replys. im probally going to shim the hood. untill i get the items to vent my hood.. but what temps are you guys usually running at with shims/vents?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by Karmashwarma
how is it not safe?
I am a former firefighter/paramedic. I have been to lots of wrecks and seen lots of training videos on wrecks. When you hit something with the bumper and it bends a little, no big deal. But if you hit something like a tree or the back of a semi or a head on, that hood will have nothing behind it to stop it from slicing right through the windshield at about head height. It needs something behind it to stop it and make in buckle instead. If you check he framework of it you can see it. Those spacers are attached to sheet metal and will tear loose no matter what kind of bolts are used. In my professional opinion, this mod should be banned because it so dangerous.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

^ yup
Old 06-19-2010, 02:29 PM

So according to what you are saying and the example you gave a stock hood would tear off the mounts and hit the glass anyways. Just because the hood (stock) sits level with the cowl area does not mean that the cowl area will catch the back end of the hood.

Have you ever seen a Buick? The hood goes up and over the wiper and cowl area. Again your example tells me that if this Buick hits anything that the hood will go through the glass.

There are many cars that have the hood in a direct line with the glass. That's why the hood is designed to fold. The rear lip of the hood has nothing to do with this. The hood will buckle.

My professional opinion is I look at accidents everyday and have yet to see a hood shear, bend, tear and/or rip off its hinge and enter the cabin area.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I have. I lost a number of friends in high school from decapitation. What qualifies you for this professional opinion? Remember, this means you are or have been paid to be in some related field.

It is really amazing to me how much people will cling to this mod just because it is cheap. Cheap is not worth your life. Just put some vents in and be safe. It will only cost a few dollars more.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:05 PM

Consultant work for the IIHS, all major insurance companies and third parties related to the collision industry. So yes, I am in and paid for a related field.

Decapitation from a hood? Really? This is not the 1950's. You are not understanding the forces applied to a car hood in an accident. When the Auto is involved in a head on collision with any object the forces are absorbed through the frame rails and drive line. The hood is not structural and thus crumples, folds and bends. It will bend way before there is enough force to push it through the glass.

Again, how can you explain that a Buick with a hood over the wiper and cowl area is not affected in the same manner as if an XJ hood is raised in the rear?

What about a cowl induction hood? By running a cowl induction hood you there by eliminate over 50% of the rear hood section being level with cowl area. Would this not also be an issue?

Cling to your gut reaction as you do not have the decades of collision data to back it up.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by trs80
Consultant work for the IIHS, all major insurance companies and third parties related to the collision industry. So yes, I am in and paid for a related field.

Decapitation from a hood? Really? This is not the 1950's. You are not understanding the forces applied to a car hood in an accident. When the Auto is involved in a head on collision with any object the forces are absorbed through the frame rails and drive line. The hood is not structural and thus crumples, folds and bends. It will bend way before there is enough force to push it through the glass.

Again, how can you explain that a Buick with a hood over the wiper and cowl area is not affected in the same manner as if an XJ hood is raised in the rear?

What about a cowl induction hood? By running a cowl induction hood you there by eliminate over 50% of the rear hood section being level with cowl area. Would this not also be an issue?

Cling to your gut reaction as you do not have the decades of collision data to back it up.
I would still go with the gut reaction. on our way home from a wheeling trip 2 buddies of mine were on the way home. sudden rain storm and a 6 car pile up. both xj's hoods went through the windshields because of the spacers they used. one of the xj's hoods didnt go completely through but enough to scare the crap out of you. before you get out your DATA trs80, i would rather check with REAL world experiences.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Insert roll eyes here...

That data is real world.

Quick Reply: shiming the hood?