Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shifting Like a Blind Pig

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994/ 96 engine
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight 6 Baby!
Question Shifting Like a Blind Pig

So I post a lot and I appreciate all the help. But I have recently been going nuts adjusting the TCV cable...mainly the cable linked to the throttle body that links to the transmission. I bought a new one but got stuck working on other parts
of the jeep until now. Can all of my erratic shifting be related to this one cable? Right 94 XJ 4.0 with 96 XJ 4.0 motor. Could the motor swap even be an issue? Though I thought I felt it before the swap. So basically it holds gears. Hugs first up to 4000 rpm then hugs second the same way and so on...sometimes I can trick it with backing off the gas and it works. I just want to know if this is more than a cable////which will be replaced....I hope not but whatever needs to get done will be done. Any advice is appreciated!
Old 12-31-2018, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

A 96 engine in a 94 is just fine. I have a 94 motor in my 95. The years 94-96 were very very similar.. 96 was an odd year, but the engine block and head are probably exactly the same as the 94 and 95. As you mentioned you had symptoms prior to swapping the engine - I'd rule out the engine to the point of it being the last thing to consider.

Your shifting being off is -probably- due to the cable adjustment, it could be solenoid related as well. A lot of folks with autos seem to have to replace the solenoids and usually between the cable adjustment and solenoids, they have a lot of success. Do some google searching on the AW4 solenoids and see if that seems in line with what you're experiencing.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by PatHenry
A 96 engine in a 94 is just fine. I have a 94 motor in my 95. The years 94-96 were very very similar.. 96 was an odd year, but the engine block and head are probably exactly the same as the 94 and 95. As you mentioned you had symptoms prior to swapping the engine - I'd rule out the engine to the point of it being the last thing to consider.

Your shifting being off is -probably- due to the cable adjustment, it could be solenoid related as well. A lot of folks with autos seem to have to replace the solenoids and usually between the cable adjustment and solenoids, they have a lot of success. Do some google searching on the AW4 solenoids and see if that seems in line with what you're experiencing.
Thank you! I will do do my best to check into this~!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Member

I have not fixed this issue yet, I am currently stuck in why won't my engine run all the time. But that is being worked on. Back to this shifting issue, which after reading several other posts I am not the only one having it, I bought a new cable and it will get installed once the engine decides to run fine again, but on a side note...in my 1994 XJ transmission...where are the solenoids and are they expensive? I am gonna have my mechanic do the cable but I want new solenoids as well cause why the hell not...are they inside the transmission pan also? Any help is certainly appreciated. I tried a google image search and it did not seem to work out. So yeah.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:48 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

The only thing that ever fails on the cable is the adjuster at the throttle body.

You likely have a TPS issue causing the high RPM shifts.

The tV cable doesn't have that big of an influence on shift points.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
The only thing that ever fails on the cable is the adjuster at the throttle body.

Okay...where the heck were you on my several other posts about wtf to do about this?!!! Damit man if that is what fixes it I will lose my ****. I would buy a new car(pick one) rip the magical fix it part out of it...and put it in my Jeep to fix the shifting. Cause fk new cars. ( I dunno if you can curse in the forum.) I can't stop cursing in real life. But yeah ok so now I need a TPS or isn't that adjustable? I dunno I am tired and going to bed. But thanks brother the wheels will turn again tomorrow[
Old 01-27-2019, 12:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54

Whoa! I wanted to find this post and revisit it! You answered the original problem so long ago right off the bat man!! I started having engine problems and I never got back to this post and I think I was drunk on the previous post...my bad Cruiser!
I gave tons of props to tjwalker(whose help I still appreciate, but you nailed this problem way earlier! I am glad I went back and found this. Yes it was the TPS sensor, yes you were correct way before I went through my engine start problems. Thank you again! She shifts perfect...and so far after much hard work and research she seems to be running solid. A couple more start/drive tests and I will be happy. Gonna try and take her to work tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:29 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the update.