Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shackle position

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 V6
Default Shackle position

I have an 96 xj Upcountry package.
My shackles hit the frame over most bumps. Just a loud clunk.

I checked the ride height from BOTH center of hub to the flare AND from the top of the axle to the frame height is correct to the height of the upcountry package which is 1 inch over stock.

I thought the leafs were going bad but after measuring and seeing the images below, I am not sure what is going on.

The shackle is almost right against the frame in these photos and that is with an 1/8 tank of gas. Nothing in the back other than the spare.

Carfax has no accidents reported, but bumper is misaligned somewhat but nothing that bad.

Do I need new leafs? New shackles?

I would prefer to leave at this height or maybe add an inch or two if necessary.
Sorry the images are kind of dark

Old 08-28-2016, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You might want to include at least one picture that shows the condition of the entire leaf spring.

The only thing that really makes any sense is that the spring is simply too long. My guess would be that it had a backyard leaf spring job in its history, and the wrong spring was used. Just a guess though. But other than curvature, the main leaf has a fixed length. Even when mine were totally flat (before replacing them recently) they did not have the shackle that close to the rear like that.

I have springs on now that match the upcountry package. They also are no where near the back plate like that.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 165,00 Miles

If they have been hitting since you bought it, jack it up and of course use floor stands and loosen the nuts on both shackles. Then just barely snug them back. I would try one side only first. Lower the car and see if they look more vertical. Either way torque the nuts to the proper specs at that point. If that took care of it the PO torqued in the air. If that didn't fix it perhaps someone else can help. Also while you are loosening the nuts check the rubber bushings. If later you pull the leafs or remove the shackles for any reason, the removal and jacking procedure is different for that.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:16 AM

Default Update

Little update, this morning I measured the leaf length from eye to eye and it is 51.5 inches. Which is exactly what it should be. When I get some time I'll try jacking it up and readjusting the bolt torque.

Thinking maybe the leafs are just worn, confused on how I still have the correct ride height though. Here are a few photos of the leafs but I couldn't get a good angle. They are fairly flattened out, but not nearly as bad as these photos make it look.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Agreed. They just look worn out. They are flattened. Which is extending the length, which is pushing the shackle back to its maximum. Your ride height should be about 18.5" (or slightly more) from the center of the wheel to the bottom edge of the fender flare. If your springs are as flat as that, I doubt you are getting their original height out of them. They probably just don't look too bad because the front coils have flattened out a bit as well.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:58 PM

Agreed they should be smiling but if they are not frowning, I would do my suggested idea as it is quick and will tell the tell. Will take you 10 min to find out unless you need to use PB BLASTER. You have little/no rust so it should be easy.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:55 PM

Thank you guys! I'll be working on it this week and I'll keep you posted on the results!
Old 09-17-2016, 04:00 PM

Default Update

So this morning I finally got around to replacing my leaf springs. Used Crown auto equivalent to the upcountry original springs. Gained about an inch of height now but the shackles are still right up near the frame. Barely moved at all.

-I torqued down while weight of vehicle was on the ground.
-thinking about getting 1-2 inch adjustable shackles to replace mine but fear that may not make it worse.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 PM

Relocation kit I would think. But maybe someone else knows better. I do know when I did mine I had the same problem and tried the adjustable and it was still not enough. If you get the relocation kit you can still adjust anyway.

Last edited by Sandyman; 09-17-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:16 AM

So here is the dilemma.

Coil springs and spacers installed in front, now sitting about an inch to an inch and a half taller than the rear.

If I get the rough country bolt on relocation kit it will bring me level but their website says it cannot be used with stock shackles. Can anyone verify this?

If I cannot then I'll be higher in the rear with the combination of relocation bracket and longer shackles.

I thought about just trying boomerang shackles without the relocation but fear that they will still not clear the frame.

Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Thoughts,

Hmmm. Something is definitely not right. I had factory leaf springs, that were totally frowning, and then replaced them with springs very similar to the ones you used (I used the Dorman springs, that are also Upcountry-ish with about 1" over stock). And at no time during any of that did the shackles contact the back of the shackle bracket box/frame.

As my first post said, my original thought was that somehow you had springs that were longer than they should be (thinking maybe a previous owner put on springs that weren't quite the right ones). But since you have have replaced them now, that idea doesn't seem to hold.

A few more questions:

1. Is this true for both sides (left/right)? Or only one side?
2. Has the vehicle ever been rear-ended or been repaired for a collision?
3. Is there any indication that the front leaf spring bracket boxes (or the rear) are not original or have been repaired for some reason?

Do you have a friend with a similar XJ that you could take a few measurements from? Run a tape measure from the front leaf spring mount to the rear and compare between the vehicles.

Last edited by jordan96xj; 09-28-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM

1. Is this true for both sides (left/right)? Or only one side?

-It is the same on both sides.

2. Has the vehicle ever been rear-ended or been repaired for a collision?

-nothing reported, but my suspicion is that it must have been. The rear bumper is pointing slightly downwards. When I was replacing leafs I was looking around and didn't see any glaring spots on frame that look bent, however I did notice some small areas that could be damage but nothing so major that would cause this.

3. Is there any indication that the front leaf spring bracket boxes (or the rear) are not original or have been repaired for some reason?

-Bracket boxes appear to be original, no signs of replacement or repair.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by mikefitz00
So here is the dilemma.

Coil springs and spacers installed in front, now sitting about an inch to an inch and a half taller than the rear.

If I get the rough country bolt on relocation kit it will bring me level but their website says it cannot be used with stock shackles. Can anyone verify this?

If I cannot then I'll be higher in the rear with the combination of relocation bracket and longer shackles.

I thought about just trying boomerang shackles without the relocation but fear that they will still not clear the frame.

Thoughts?
Mike, I would call rough country and tell them what you have done and what your dilemma is. They are usually ready to help to sell their products and they probably can steer you in the right direction. If they lead you in a direction that doesn't work you may get to try something else on them. Who knows until you call them. Let us know what happens.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Took a couple quick pics of my 96 xj so we might compare.
Attached Thumbnails Shackle position-2016-09-28-18.28.24.jpg   Shackle position-2016-09-28-18.27.41.jpg  
Old 09-28-2016, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

At first I thought that the metal structure right behind the shackle might have gotten pushed in or repositioned by some type of previous repair. But after looking at the pictures, it really does seem like the shackle is swung further back. Because the main leaf of the spring has a relatively fixed length, the only thing that seems to explain it all is that the two brackets (front leaf eye and shackle eye) are closer together, or that the spring is longer.

Lot's of folks use both the Dorman and Crown springs, so it is hard to believe that they would be too long. Which I guess leaves us back at taking some measurements between the brackets to try and unravel if the two brackets really are at the correct distance.

Is there any remaining possibility that the Crown springs are the wrong ones for this vehicle? I know the old springs were long as well, but I just want to completely rule this possibility out.

Quick Reply: Shackle position