Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Serpentine belt on and off squeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Serpentine belt on and off squeal

New to working on vehicles so please take it easy if this is a stupid question.
My 96 Classic developed a squeal after I had it about 5 months. Belt was changed before I bought and has no cracks or visable wear. Squealed for about a month everytime driven. Sometimes quit after a while most time squealed whole time (not too loud). Then just quit squealing and didn't squeal for a month or more. Now it's back to squealing some of the time. Is this a belt issue or something else?
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:26 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: inline 6
Default suealing

mine quit after adjustment of tension.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:34 PM

Year: 1989

so it still squeals when the belt is off? it's either the balancer or one of the accessories are loose.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by samclemmons
Is this a belt issue or something else?
It could be something else, but most likely it's not tight enough. The belt has an actual tension setting, just like torque on a bolt. Deflecting the belt with your hand is not a reliable way to set that tension.

Instead you need a Krikit tension gauge (or similar gauge). You can pick those up at NAPA stores or order them on line for about $15. You also need to know the correct tension for your Jeep, which you usually find in your factory service manual. For reference, the tension for my 2000 is 180 to 200 lbs. ft. and 140 to 160 lbs. ft. for a used belt. You tighten the new belts a little more because they stretch a little when they break in. The '96 may or may not have the same specs, so you will still want to confirm the correct tension for your year.

If setting the correct tension isn't the issue, and you see no evidence of anything seizing up to cause the belt to slip, you might consider getting a Goodyear Gatorback belt. The way they're made makes them difficult to slip even if they're not tightened properly.

Here's a picture of that tension gauge:

Last edited by extrashaky; 03-10-2015 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Added picture.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It needs to be a lot tighter than you would eyeball it. I went through the squeal, chirp thing until I figured it out that it just needed tightening a bit more.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by carbuff
It needs to be a lot tighter than you would eyeball it. I went through the squeal, chirp thing until I figured it out that it just needed tightening a bit more.
Ditto here. It needs to be pretty damn tight.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 AM

Thanks guys. And carbuff, "chirp" is exactly what it really is, not loud squeal. I thought of loose tension initially but the fact it just started chirping 5 months after I bought it and then just quit chirping after a month or so then started back chirping after a couple months made me question that. BTW, this morning chirped good and loud at start and for 10-15 minutes then got quiet. I'll check tension on it. Thanks for pic of tension gauge extrashaky, now got another excuse to get new tool!

Last edited by samclemmons; 03-11-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Check and double check the harmonic balancer. Make sure it's not coming apart. Had that on my 92. Was chirping for a while, then the outer ring ate into my timing cover. Yes, the 2.5 4 banger cover is the same as the 4.0L cover.

What do I win??
Old 03-11-2015, 10:14 AM

diskman, I'll definitely check harmonic balancer if I get tension correct and still have the squeak. Hope it doesn't come to that! Sounds like above my ability to tackle with limited knowledge and limited tools.

Thanks for pic.

You win a 96 Classic if I get frustrated and kick, smash and beat it to hell.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by samclemmons
diskman, I'll definitely check harmonic balancer if I get tension correct and still have the squeak.
Check it anyway, just to be safe. It's easy. Here's what you're looking for:

See that piece of rubber being squeezed out of the middle? If that's happening, the harmonic balancer needs to be replaced. Shine a light on the front and back to make sure it's not slipping out on either side. It might be easier to see the back from underneath.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:16 PM

Year: 1997

Like everyone said there could be several reasons. One thing to keep in mind is that conditions may play a role in why it comes and goes. Temp and humidity might be enough to make the difference if it just isn't quite tight enough. Or if it's dark and you're using your lights putting a little extra draw on the alternator. Once you fire it up and it squeals (slips) for a bit it might heat the belt enough to stop slipping. Check tension first, then look into the accessories/tensioner and make sure they are all spinning free. GL!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 PM

Engine: 4.0 I 6

had similar problems when I replace my belt.. your serp belt needs to be a lot tighter than you would think.. start by tightening It up before you shoot the parts cannon at it
Old 03-11-2015, 10:25 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: inline 6
Default yes

Originally Posted by tzaracki14
had similar problems when I replace my belt.. your serp belt needs to be a lot tighter than you would think.. start by tightening It up before you shoot the parts cannon at it
agree.same thing.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:18 AM

Thanks Greenman, weather hasn't been a factor as far as I can tell. There's been times of low humidity and cold (well, cold for Alabama lol) and still chirps, then it's been real rainy and warm and no chirp. alternator seems fine. Sometimes after loud chirp at start it runs the entire trip with way softer chirp.
It's been sitting mostly since I started thread, haven't had time to even pop hood yet to check harmonic balancer but that is first thing before I start driving it.
Again, thanks all and I'll post whatever solution I find.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:28 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Why does everyone on this forum jump to the hardest, most expensive and time consuming possible outcome first?

What happened to checking the small, cheap, and easy possible problems first?

Tighten the belt a little bit. All new belts will need to be re adjusted for tension after a little use. Its a normal thing.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt on and off squeal