Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Serpentine Belt Made in U.S.A.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 07:53 AM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)
Default Serpentine Belt Made in U.S.A.

Does anyone know who manufactured a belt in the U.S. and where it is sold? I don't think that Gates is.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

Have you had a bad experience with gates or just want the made in Murica moniker?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I've had good luck with Dayco, which I think are still made in the USA. They have a 3 year warranty, where if it starts to crack or fail, you can return it and get a new one for free.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

Yeah, that's a good question.

Gates and Goodyear would be my two top pics, but, these days they could be made about anywhere. One could possibly even find the same belts possibly made in different countries. Car making being global, most have factories around the world, and also supply mfgrs (OEM's) made in factories around the world. They probably have some in the USA too ...but for what line?

As an aside: Some of the smaller mfgrs may have even purchased older USA factories which Gates/Goodyear once operated but moved out of. It's possible Dayco could be one of them. I used to call on a Goodyear factory in WI for years, which made radiator hoses and brake hoses. I got to know the plant manager pretty well over the years. He used to travel to other plants in East Europe (mostly) for training or help set up a new lines or resolve production problems. The margins for auto parts is really low and foreign competition only makes it harder to survive. Their factory was really old and auto parts companies generally defer maintenance costs a lot till it adds up to a mountain. Then it gets to the point where the roof, HVAC, Industrial equipment, parking lot, etc add up to a good down payment on a new factory. Goodyear sold the plant, but it's still in production under Continential Tire (I believe). I don't know what labels they market under though. I've had a couple plant managers at auto parts factories describe to me that their business model is different than most. Most businesses will increase costs a percent or more per year to keep up. In the auto parts OEM business, car mfgrs expect (demand) a reduction in costs each year (citing efficiency gains). At some point the only way to get costs down below the floor level is to get cheaper labor and costs. Countries which have universal health care the mfgrs don't have to pay employees health care costs directly. From a business standpoint, a lot of manufacturers will say our small-insurance-group health care model model is really non-competitive internationally, ...but there are other costs which level things out too, taxes, shipping, higher energy costs, etc. Anyway, All that being said, there are more auto-parts suppliers around in the USA big and small than one might still believe.

If you really want a USA product, you might email Dayco, or other producers, see what they say. More than likely you'll get a response that looks something like this: "We are a global supplier and our products may come from a variety of locations, including the USA, depending on a number of factors". Maybe even check a/c delco, or Mopar. IDK if they still produce those items or just re-brand another supplier...

You might just google, 'automotive belt manufacturing plants in the usa' too, and see who owns them.

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 04-08-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:24 AM
gat

Originally Posted by Cummins93
Have you had a bad experience with gates or just want the made in Murica moniker?
I have Gates now. It is fine, but I spilled coolant on it and it chirps heavily in the rain. It is quiet when dry. I am taking this to my mechanic to replace. He's really great. I'll just swing by early in the morning and he'll do it for me while I wait when I bring the belt. I have a Kricket measurer for the belts, but I can't ever get it right on the first or second go with that damn thing! I just like to support American made products because there is a chance that I may make some.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Get a Continental elite belt (formerly Goodyear Gatorback). I *believe* it's made in the U.S. -- possibly in the very plant that Jeepwalker mentioned. I swear by these belts and they're freakin' amazing. You won't have a problem with noise with one of those belts.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Why not just clean the belt and pulleys? Seems the easiest and cheapest way to go. But that's just me.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 AM
gat

Originally Posted by dave1123
Why not just clean the belt and pulleys? Seems the easiest and cheapest way to go. But that's just me.
It's been two months. The belt should be clean by now. Do you think that it could still be further cleaned?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:27 AM
gat

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Get a Continental elite belt (formerly Goodyear Gatorback). I *believe* it's made in the U.S. -- possibly in the very plant that Jeepwalker mentioned. I swear by these belts and they're freakin' amazing. You won't have a problem with noise with one of those belts.
I already filled a customer inquiry to ask about it. If they do respond affirmatively to country of origin where are they sold. O'Reilly's doesn't sell that brand. AutoZone sells Continental, but seemingly not the elite when I searched via filter for my 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. I6 Left Hand Drive

Last edited by gat; 04-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

The Continental Contitech on the XJ now has "Made In UK" on it. The belt that came off was a Gates. It has "Made in Mexico" on it.

The Rockauto listing for that Contitech compares 3 Goodyears. One is the Milage Maker. It does not say where it is made. The Contitech says "European Manufacture". The Elite says "Mostly US Manufacture".

Last edited by fb97xj1; 04-08-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
The Continental Contitech on the XJ now has "Made In UK" on it. The belt that came off was a Gates. It has "Made in Mexico" on it.

The Rockauto listing for that Contitech compares 3 Goodyears. One is the Milage Maker. It does not say where it is made. The Contitech says "European Manufacture". The Elite says "Mostly US Manufacture".
Eng-er-land!!!
Old 04-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

I was in a farm & barn store today getting supplies and happened to be near some Dayco belts. The few I looked at by my head were 'Made in USA'. I didn't look up Jeep belts specifically. My past experience (many years ago) was that Dayco trailed Gates and Goodyear in quality. But that is based on old experience. Hopefully their product is up there with the big boys now.

Cheers!

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 04-08-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:35 AM
gat

I went with Dayco for the sure thing. My mechanic let me swing by early in the morning. I just pulled in front of the bay. He did it while talking to me for ten minutes and wouldn't accepting and money for it.
The following users liked this post:
Thetastycat (12-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2021, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2L V8

Originally Posted by PatHenry
I've been searching for that belt with no luck. Where can i find one for my 97 zj 5.2L?
Old 06-19-2021, 06:27 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

Just my $.02. I have 4 XJ's. My wife's hates Gates belt. Put something different on it and the noise goes away.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Made in U.S.A.