Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Seat belts for baby seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Seat belts for baby seats

So i just bought an xj and realized the belts dont ratched and momma
Is pissed. Has anyone replace the stock belts to the kind you pull all the way out and ratchet tighter as they return? My little girl is 4 and has to have the shoulder strap. I also have a brand new boy.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I6

My wife was the same way. The buckle itself is designed to keep the tension. Once you've tightened it, the shoulder strap could have a lot of slack but the lap belt porion stays tight. Push the kid seat down into the car seat and pull the chest strap hard. I can actually get the kid seats tighter in the jeep than in my wife's car with the tether points.

Edit: just saw your wanting it to lock the chest part for your older daughter. The chest strap should still lock when the brakes are slammed on or in an impact. For your younger one you can secure the car seat like above. Don't know if that helps ya, but it was acceptable to the boss in my case.

Last edited by smarrs; 05-02-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Dead Roman
So i just bought an xj and realized the belts dont ratched and momma
Is pissed. Has anyone replace the stock belts to the kind you pull all the way out and ratchet tighter as they return? My little girl is 4 and has to have the shoulder strap. I also have a brand new boy.
We took ours from infant to adult in the cherokee. You won't ever get totally modern safety stuff in a 14 to 20 year old vehicle. Quadratec has some decent stuff...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...arnesses&c=203
Old 05-03-2015, 02:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987

Is your 4yr old using a booster or a car seat? If you need the 3 point belt to lock for a toddler seat or infant carrier system, there should be a clip supplied with the seat that looks similar to this:

That will lock the 3 point harness' lap portion.

If for a booster, then the child should be able to use the adult belt as is. But to be sure, just check the manuals for those products. I've only gotten to the point where I've installed a child car seat and infant carrier system. I'll know about the booster in a couple of years. LOL.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by SuperRA
Is your 4yr old using a booster or a car seat? If you need the 3 point belt to lock for a toddler seat or infant carrier system, there should be a clip supplied with the seat that looks similar to this: That will lock the 3 point harness' lap portion. If for a booster, then the child should be able to use the adult belt as is. But to be sure, just check the manuals for those products. I've only gotten to the point where I've installed a child car seat and infant carrier system. I'll know about the booster in a couple of years. LOL.
Yeah, I should have mentioned we did use a booster seat for a long time, you can google it but they were like six or seven before they hit the weight and height for the adult belt in the back. By then it was not a dd so it didn't really matter...