Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Schaeffer's All Trans Supreme for AW4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Schaeffer's All Trans Supreme for AW4

Hey guys, newbie here. Bought my 2001 XJ about a year ago and it's time to change the trans fluid. 233,000 miles on it. I have read so many threads on this topic but I can't find one about this specific fluid.

And the link for the specs: http://www.schaefferoil.com/204-atf-supreme.html

I've seen plenty of people say Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc is a good choice. But, I run Schaeffer's in my engine and my diffs and their fluids perform great so I would also like to add my trans to that. The reason I am asking is because their specs page says it works for Dexron III as well as ATF+4 and everyone seems to argue about which one to use for the AW4.

So, if you're running this fluid or it trashed your trans let me know.

(I have not changed the fluid since purchase so I do not know if there is currently Dexron III, IV, or ATF +4 in it.)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I've used Amsoil's synthetic with no problems.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

I went through the same decision process when I first brought my Jeep home. I read 100s of posts regarding avoiding the guidance to use ATF+4 (which every auto store will advise, because that is what is in the data on their computer screen). This is because Chrysler retroactively called for it for all previous Chrysler transmissions. However, the argument continued to rage because the AW4 is not a Chrysler transmission and should not have been covered in that guidance. (That's just a micro summary of the history on it).

I had recently had a transmission replaced in another vehicle, for which I had taken it to the the most reputable, and long established business in the area for such things. They have been in the same location, same owner, for something like 45 years. At the time I took my brand-new-to-me Jeep in to have the trans serviced and inspected (to head off any problems) I noticed that he was restoring/modifying a Wrangler TJ. So not only is the owner very experienced, but he and his son are Jeepers with some experience for the issues related to earlier Jeeps.

So I pulled him aside (hard because he is extremely busy) and asked him about the AW4, ATF+4, DexIII/Merc controversy and the type of advice I had been seeing on the Jeep forums. The advice typically bent towards sticking with conventional DexIII/Merc (like the one that Castrol produces).

http://www.castrol.com/en_cc/ccsa/pr...-dex-merc.html

He basically shut the conjecture down, and said that this type of discussion is nothing new and has been going on since he started 45 years ago. Across a variety of manufacturers, transmissions, and applications. He said the entire discussion is overblown.

He made a couple of definitive statements that stuck with me.

1. Unless specifically mandated otherwise, his shop would use a high quality multi-vehicle synthetic transmission fluid on all jobs. Basically he said it was a bulk version of what you and I know as Valvoline MaxLife Multi-vehicle ATF (of course when they buy in bulk, they don't use those retail names like that).

2. He said that anyone that recommends a conventional transmission fluid over a synthetic is off base. That the synthetic fluids have come a long way and have far better properties for dealing with heat and breakdown (which feeds into the next item).

3. He said, and I quote "Fluid never destroyed a transmission. Heat and abuse destroy transmissions, fluids can sometimes bring these problems to the surface by washing out clutch material, etc. But that the damage had already been done."

Based on everything I read, and the advice (if you call it that) that he provided. I decided to go with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic multi-vehicle ATF (which is compliant with Dex/Merc properties). I of course cross checked this with Vavoline's data to make sure that it is recommended for the AW4, which it is.

I have not looked back. It has been 3 years and 40k miles. If my transmission should grenade tomorrow (knock on wood). I won't blame the fluid. I'll blame the miles, the heat, and my occasional towing a popup camper.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I went through the same decision process when I first brought my Jeep home. I read 100s of posts regarding avoiding the guidance to use ATF+4 (which every auto store will advise, because that is what is in the data on their computer screen). This is because Chrysler retroactively called for it for all previous Chrysler transmissions. However, the argument continued to rage because the AW4 is not a Chrysler transmission and should not have been covered in that guidance. (That's just a micro summary of the history on it).

I had recently had a transmission replaced in another vehicle, for which I had taken it to the the most reputable, and long established business in the area for such things. They have been in the same location, same owner, for something like 45 years. At the time I took my brand-new-to-me Jeep in to have the trans serviced and inspected (to head off any problems) I noticed that he was restoring/modifying a Wrangler TJ. So not only is the owner very experienced, but he and his son are Jeepers with some experience for the issues related to earlier Jeeps.

So I pulled him aside (hard because he is extremely busy) and asked him about the AW4, ATF+4, DexIII/Merc controversy and the type of advice I had been seeing on the Jeep forums. The advice typically bent towards sticking with conventional DexIII/Merc (like the one that Castrol produces).

He basically shut the conjecture down, and said that this type of discussion is nothing new and has been going on since he started 45 years ago. Across a variety of manufacturers, transmissions, and applications. He said the entire discussion is overblown.

1. Unless specifically mandated otherwise, his shop would use a high quality multi-vehicle synthetic transmission fluid on all jobs. Basically he said it was a bulk version of what you and I know as Valvoline MaxLife Multi-vehicle ATF (of course when they buy in bulk, they don't use those retail names like that).

2. He said that anyone that recommends a conventional transmission fluid over a synthetic is off base. That the synthetic fluids have come a long way and have far better properties for dealing with heat and breakdown (which feeds into the next item).

3. He said, and I quote "Fluid never destroyed a transmission. Heat and abuse destroy transmissions, fluids can sometimes bring these problems to the surface by washing out clutch material, etc. But that the damage had already been done."

Based on everything I read, and the advice (if you call it that) that he provided. I decided to go with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic multi-vehicle ATF (which is compliant with Dex/Merc properties). I of course cross checked this with Vavoline's data to make sure that it is recommended for the AW4, which it is.

I have not looked back. It has been 3 years and 40k miles. If my transmission should grenade tomorrow (knock on wood). I won't blame the fluid. I'll blame the miles, the heat, and my occasional towing a popup camper.
Excellent!!

So, in a nutshell, Dex Merc III or a multi-vehicle synthetic.
Stay away from ATF-4.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply good sir. So what you're saying is I shouldn't have any problems using that fluid correct?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I've used Amsoil's synthetic with no problems.
Is this what you're using?
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...mission-fluid/

It looks to have pretty well the same applications as the schaeffer's. The multi vehicle thing was definitely my main cause for concern but I guess it's okay even though it works for atf+4 as well as the dexrons.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts

After reading the spec's it looks like it's good to use . I used Valvoline MaxLife Multi-vehicle ATF because I wanted a synthetic transmission fluid . just like the one your looking at .
Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by tech
After reading the spec's it looks like it's good to use . I used Valvoline MaxLife Multi-vehicle ATF because I wanted a synthetic transmission fluid . just like the one your looking at .
Alright thanks a bunch I'll go ahead with using it.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:21 PM

Thank you for the detailed reply I really appreciate it. Lots of good info there
Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to thread bomb or jack, but when you guys change the fluid, do you change the filter as well? One of the local places here will do a filter change or a flush.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by HITDOGG
Not to thread bomb or jack, but when you guys change the fluid, do you change the filter as well? One of the local places here will do a filter change or a flush.
NO!

It's not a filter. It's a screen. There was never any scheduled maintenance interval to change it. Drain and fill.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I always use the Wal-Mart brand atf and never had any problems. You can get it for $11 a gallon.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I always use the Wal-Mart brand atf and never had any problems. You can get it for $11 a gallon.
And, you likely never will have problems.

All this fluid flushing crap is a scam.

Synthetic is fine as an option. Just do the drain and fills at the recommended intervals.

30,000 miles for regular service. 15,000 miles for severe service like towing, taxi, postal vehicle.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiser54
NO!

It's not a filter. It's a screen. There was never any scheduled maintenance interval to change it. Drain and fill.

10-4, thanks for clearing that up!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by HITDOGG
10-4, thanks for clearing that up!
You bet!!