Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rusty's vs. Roughcountry

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rusty's vs. Roughcountry

So I've searched around a bit, but haven't found a straight up answer. I have priced out both Rusty's and RC 3 in. lift both with full leafs. And the prices are with in $50 including shipping. So which lift is better, and why?

Thanks Matt
Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 H.O

i would personally go with the rusty's lift. i have never had the lift kit, but only heard good things about it. i have had the rough country lift though. it was the three inch lift and i did not like it one bit. it did not seem to be a full three inch lift, and my jeep was not as big as i wanted it to be. so i moved to a 4.5" RE superflex lift and a 2" BB and i couldnt be any happier with the company. Rubicon Express lifts are really nice so i would look into seeing how much a 3.5" lift from them will cost you and compare that to what you are looking at now
Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

ok this thread im sure will cause a bunch of conflict. I run RC, and I have beaten the **** out of the lift on two different cherokees now. For the price, it holds its value. I don't know Rusty's to well. People are back and forth on them. I have heard way more negatives things on their products. Now remember they don't only make lifts so some negative could be on other things. I know in one case a trac bar of theirs fell apart and caused a roll to a wrangler. On pirate4x4 I heard their long arm is garbage. I personally would go with RC. But I know their are people that stand by Rustys. If you call RC though instead of ordering online they will probably cut you a deal on price just for calling.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

gmsween, you're probably the ONLY one who's ever heard anything good about Rusty's

anyways, you get what you pay for with lifts. those are both cheap kits, you will be unhappy with something about either, but Rusty's is more prone to breaking all of their parts, whereas Rough Country doesn't.

I run a Rough Country 6.5" lift up front...just the coils and adjustable control arms. the trackbar I run is a single shear (hope to change to double chear) RE with a heim up top, and being that I have a comanche, I got 6.5" of lift by springing over the rear axle.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

i bought the RC coils and leaf packs originally and i thought they looked alright. i know my buddy ran the 3" RC on his xj with the AAL before he went to a rustys 4.5". i helped him install the rustys kit- with the exception of missing u-bolts, its a nice kit. i think if you keep up with torquing everything properly after a couple miles it will be nice.

i like that rustys offers a 3.5" leaf pack, along with a HD 3" coil. combine those with a 3/4" spacer you have a level jeep with a nice amount of flex. id go rustys if i were to piece together a lift- using rustys leaf packs/coil springs as a base. true there have been some quality issues in the past, but i think he has addressed those issues and is cranking out a nice product- with the exception of his trackbar.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gmsween
i would personally go with the rusty's lift. i have never had the lift kit, but only heard good things about it. i have had the rough country lift though. it was the three inch lift and i did not like it one bit. it did not seem to be a full three inch lift, and my jeep was not as big as i wanted it to be. so i moved to a 4.5" RE superflex lift and a 2" BB and i couldnt be any happier with the company. Rubicon Express lifts are really nice so i would look into seeing how much a 3.5" lift from them will cost you and compare that to what you are looking at now

You pay for what you get in most cases. I dont think that anyone would argue that Rubicon Express kits aren't nice. They are great lifts and you pay a little more for them. But again you pay for what you get in that case. Between Rustys and RC, I hear way more negative about Rusty's so I don't know how much you've read or on what. So between the two lifts they have asked about RC or Rustys, I would go RC.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

[QUOTE=paroxysym;86591]i bought the RC coils and leaf packs originally and i thought they looked alright. i know my buddy ran the 3" RC on his xj with the AAL before he went to a rustys 4.5"

your buddies main problem was that he ran a AAL kit haha.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your response. I have been doing a lot of reading about lifts and whats hot and whats not. Although I would really love a RE lift, I'm on a 16 year old budget. I also know that everyone says to save and get the kit you want, but thats not going to happen. The RE kit that you buy also needs shocks, which is another 150 to 200 bucks. So I dont see that working for me.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

i got the same question running round my head

so ill just read
Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by JakeWI
your buddies main problem was that he ran a AAL kit haha.
you dont say...
Old 12-10-2008, 03:43 PM

Yea I was definitely planning on staying away from the AAL
Old 12-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
Yea I was definitely planning on staying away from the AAL
worse case scenario do a shackle.. but def no AAL.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Yea I figure if I'm going to go with the cheaper lift company I might as well spend a little extra and get full Leafs
Old 12-10-2008, 04:02 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Here's what I was told. Rusty's, RC and RE all get their leaf packs made by the same company. Now my personal Opinion is this.. On coils and leafs either will be just fine. I think the quality issues come in with things like track bars and the stuff rusty's builds themselves like control arms, adjustable track bars and so forth. If it's just Coils and Leafs I think either will work just fine for you. The main thing to look at on coils is spring rate. Also remember more often then not you will need a 3/4" spacer up front to level thngs out once the springs all settle.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 PM

bump

Quick Reply: Rusty's vs. Roughcountry