Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

running rough or not at all

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default running rough or not at all

Ok well I just got my jeep lifted and converted from a 2x4 to a 4x4 but now it won't start sometimes and then it wont run for long when it does. If it does run it misfires like crazy and has not power. If I can get it to run i can't shift gears(it's a 5 speed) unless the rpms stay about 2500 or it will die. Also it will just die for no reason when running strong. I shot the codes it's throwing it gave me 11, and 43 which are no crank signal to computer and misfire respectively. What are some things that i should start by checking and how do i check the crank sensor because I just did a lot of research and cannot figure out how to check it. Also any other ideas are appreciated thanks.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmcommando
Ok well I just got my jeep lifted and converted from a 2x4 to a 4x4 but now it won't start sometimes and then it wont run for long when it does. If it does run it misfires like crazy and has not power. If I can get it to run i can't shift gears(it's a 5 speed) unless the rpms stay about 2500 or it will die. Also it will just die for no reason when running strong. I shot the codes it's throwing it gave me 11, and 43 which are no crank signal to computer and misfire respectively. What are some things that i should start by checking and how do i check the crank sensor because I just did a lot of research and cannot figure out how to check it. Also any other ideas are appreciated thanks.
You are pretty much on the right track if you haven't already found the problem. I would say replace the CPS/CKB. Here is how you can test it if you rather not do so first.

Test#1 - Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the cps and measure across the CPS leads, the CPS should measure aprox. 275 +/- ohms. If it's off by much, replace it.

Test#2 - You'll need another person to help here.

Set your volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your friend cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Ok I have one more question. If the CPS is on to tight would it create any issues? Because I went to try and take it off but with the position it's in it won't break free and I thought I read somewhere that the CPS needs to have a gap or something.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok I have one more question. If the CPS is on to tight would it create any issues? Because I went to try and take it off but with the position it's in it won't break free and I thought I read somewhere that the CPS needs to have a gap or something.
There really is no way to adjust the gap, its just tighten it snug and call it a day. Do not overtighten it...couldn't tell you the torque but if I had to guess 5-7lbs
Old 05-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Ok thanks when i put the next one on it wont be so tight but i think the mechanic that did the swap for me got a little happy with tightening the bolts cause I fought and cussed at is for hours and couldn't get the bolt loose.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok thanks when i put the next one on it wont be so tight but i think the mechanic that did the swap for me got a little happy with tightening the bolts cause I fought and cussed at is for hours and couldn't get the bolt loose.
Little PB Blaster wouldn't hurt, possibly even a bit of heat but I can't imagine it being too tight on there to need a torch. If this was the case I would go give that guy who replaced it a visit.