Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Running on 3 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Running on 3 cylinders

I have no idea where else to post this, sorry if it's in the wrong place.

So I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited. Earlier today it was running on 5/6 cylinders. Figured bad injector since the spark plugs and coil packs are all new. So we pulled all the injectors, tested them and cleaned all of them and they all work and spray fine, so we re installed them with new O-rings. Next we pulled each injector plug while the engine was running to see which one wasn't getting power and cyl 6 injector wasn't getting power. We noticed exposed wiring on the plug, figured it was arcing so we rewired that particular plug, still nothing. I pulled cyl 1 plug and then THAT injector stopped receiving power, and the same thing happened to cyl 2 injector. So now 3 injectors (1,2 and 6) are all misfiring due to no power going to those injectors. I pulled the plugs and coil packs for those cyl and they're fine, no corrosion or anything that tells me they're faulty. I have run out of ideas, some forums I've read say it could be the pcm, but why would it be cyl 1,2 and 6 and not 1,2 and 3? Also, cyl 1 and 2 were working fine, until I removed the injector plugs for less than 10 seconds while the engine was running, and when plugged back in, they no longer worked. Now it's running on 3 cylinders and idk exactly why.

Sorry for the novel but this is my daily driver and I just got it a week ago and need it fixed by Monday for work. I'm so lost at this point and getting very frustrated.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:53 AM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Check to ensure that the wires haven't separated or corroded to an open circuit between the E.C.U. and the end of the connector.

I would unplug the battery for 10+ minutes to let the internal electrical system discharge and try to start it with everything plugged. Also, did you confirm that there was no voltage via measuring voltage or because they stopped working. If you didn't measure, then it could be a poor connection at the connector. Brake clean and a thin pick may produce a better connection.