Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough On my Jeep Today.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Red face Rough On my Jeep Today.

1999 Cherokee Buried it today 81k Miles

All STOCK
Was doing good until i stopped on the trail and happen to be over a frozen mud trail. I Sunk it hardcore. Rested it on the frame (High Centered)

Snow was everywhere so i just started digging, didn't get anywhere so i called so one and told them id pay them to come pull me out.

Kept digging and then jumped in and managed to rock it 5-6 feet draggin on the frame still.

Then it was frozen again

Rocked it more (Went from D-N-R R-N-D) ALOT. Was being really really hard on it to get it out.

Myquestion is after being this hard on it for a few minutes should i check out anything or inspect it? or change anything like fluids?

Today i really think lockers would have helped.
Ha this thing in the 3 months ive had it has taken me places lifted trucks wont even go and im STOCK!.

Jeep For Life thats forsure.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

If you don't have skid plates on vulnerable components I'd at least put it up on jack stands or up on a service rack and have a long, careful inspection look. If it's not below freezing where you live, borrow or rent a pressure washer and clean all the crap off of everything so you can see dents, damaged lines, etc. If the differentials, transfer case or transmission were submerged, you should seriously consider changing out the gear lube and transmission fluid. The wheel bearings might need service, it kind of depends on how long they were submerged, the consistancy of the mud/ snow/ slush to which they were exposed, the length of time they were submerged and so on.

I don't have one installed, but this is a great example of why a serious off-road winch of 8,000 pounds capacity or better is a top-priority necessity if you are going off road under adverse conditions. Buy a ****** block, too. It doubles the winch capacity. And seriously consider buying a winch anchor and a couple of chains if you are trailing in a treeless environment.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

you should be fine. You could go under you jeep and hit it with the grease if you want