Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough Idle with no acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rough Idle with no acceleration

Hi guys. I have a 2001 jeep Cherokee and i am having this problem of it have a rough idle with no acceleration. It seems to be happening after the jeep has been run for a good amount of time and then left for about 30 minutes or so and started back up again. the engine vibrates very erratically and when i press the gas i have no acceleration. After a little bit of trying to accelerate it finally catches and starts to run normally again. I have replaced the coils, spark plugs, fuel injectors, crank shaft position sensor, i have cleaned all contacts, i have cleaned throttle body, replaced the gasket on the throttle body, i cleaned the IAC, i checked for vacuum leaks but came up with nothing. A gentleman on ifixit said that he solved this problem with cleaning a plastic device that is rounded that was connected to a vacuum line that goes to the rear (next to the cabin) . I do not know what this is and was wondering if anybody did? also if anyone has any solutions?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Have you seen a check engine light? If so you must retrieve codes for clues and guidance on how to proceed. Even if you haven't seen the CEL, it would be a good idea to check for any "pending" codes.

If you are only having this symptom with a hot engine upon restart and not with a cold engine, it's possible that you are suffering from a heat soak condition. For whatever reason, the 00-01 XJs are more susceptible to this condition. A search of this and every other XJ forum will yield a lot of light reading for you on heat soak.

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-04-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Have you seen a check engine light? If so you must retrieve codes for clues and guidance on how to proceed. Even if you haven't seen the CEL, it would be a good idea to check for any "pending" codes.

If you are only having this symptom with a hot engine upon restart and not with a cold engine, it's possible that you are suffering from a heat soak condition. For whatever reason, the 00-01 XJs are more susceptible to this condition. A search of this and every other XJ forum will yield a lot of light reading for you on heat soak.
It throws a misfire when it gets very bad
Old 12-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by 01xj21
Hi guys. I have a 2001 jeep Cherokee and i am having this problem of it have a rough idle with no acceleration. It seems to be happening after the jeep has been run for a good amount of time and then left for about 30 minutes or so and started back up again. the engine vibrates very erratically and when i press the gas i have no acceleration. After a little bit of trying to accelerate it finally catches and starts to run normally again. I have replaced the coils, spark plugs, fuel injectors, crank shaft position sensor, i have cleaned all contacts, i have cleaned throttle body, replaced the gasket on the throttle body, i cleaned the IAC, i checked for vacuum leaks but came up with nothing. A gentleman on ifixit said that he solved this problem with cleaning a plastic device that is rounded that was connected to a vacuum line that goes to the rear (next to the cabin) . I do not know what this is and was wondering if anybody did? also if anyone has any solutions?
There's a small check valve in a vacuum line that routes from the intake manifold around the back of the engine that parallels the firewall going to another device (duty cycle solenoid?) The check valve is an inline style with hoses attached to both sides. I'd estimate it to be about an inch in diameter (pretty small) and it isn't hard mounted to anything. It looks like the valve in the link below.

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-14-2018, 08:00 AM

I’m still having the same problem. I cleaned the check valve in the vacuum line and idle got better but the other night I pulled into the grocery store after running the jeep for about 20 minutes. I walked inside for about 20-25 minutes a I turn on my Jeep and it happened again,it sputters and stalls a bit and has no acceleration. I have to continuously push the gas pedal until it finally accelerates. Anybody have any ideas as to what it might be?
Old 12-14-2018, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 01xj21
I’m still having the same problem. I cleaned the check valve in the vacuum line and idle got better but the other night I pulled into the grocery store after running the jeep for about 20 minutes. I walked inside for about 20-25 minutes a I turn on my Jeep and it happened again,it sputters and stalls a bit and has no acceleration. I have to continuously push the gas pedal until it finally accelerates. Anybody have any ideas as to what it might be?

Yup, and I told you in post #2.

Sounds like heat soak. Replacing injectors doesn't cure heat soak.

Have you "searched" this? It's not uncommon. There are some things you can do to try to resolve it.

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-14-2018 at 06:19 PM.