Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rough idle and knocking

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle and knocking

I have rough idle which I figure is due to needing new plugs and wires. My questions are; I have knocking on drivers side by manifold and now saw two spots of what looks like oil on driveway. I don't use excessive oil and it is not loosing compression that I can tell. What could this be a sign of? The knocking is loud and is not the lifters. It does not have any smoke (white or black) coming out of exhaust. Could it be a cracked manifold? I still have exhaust fumes if window is open while driving. Any help would be great.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The knocking is loud and is not the lifters
Like this? You dont have to watch the whole thing, but youll get the idea..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=LePW9seBwVs

Thats my 89, Someone on here said it could be the flex plate bolts, but I cant get the f**king cover off.. I think its something more serious though...
As for the idle, It could be the IAC, CPS, TPS, or any other number of things...

Good luck,
Dylan
Old 10-21-2009, 11:38 PM

mine is exactly like that! I was told by the mech it might just be a cat leak but I have the same knocking sound that is around the manifold. He also said it might just be a cracked manifold or leak. I will get it into the shop soon to hear the bad news. I am hoping it is not the rods or bearings. Mine is ok on oil.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 PM

Nice Jeep! Mine is a 1992 xj as seen on my album. Mine needs some TLC next year for exterior. More concerned about engine right now. Does sound like cat leak on your video. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cherokee92
mine is exactly like that! I was told by the mech it might just be a cat leak but I have the same knocking sound that is around the manifold. He also said it might just be a cracked manifold or leak. I will get it into the shop soon to hear the bad news. I am hoping it is not the rods or bearings. Mine is ok on oil.
I crawled under mine while it was running, and it sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine. Im REALLY hoping its just flex plate/Torque Converter bolts hitting the dust cover, I dont have the money for a new motor. I just got this jeep about a month ago, it needs new floors and some other work, but I love it already. I havent really got to drive it yet, its not legal. Your Jeep is in pretty good shape for its age too.

good luck,
Dylan
Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 AM

Thanks. I just read it might be bad plugs and wires or misfire too. I could not get my wires off either so I am letting the tech check the front and rear seals too when he does the tranny fluid change. I am hoping it is just a manifold leak. I have had mine about 6 weeks and spent 1 k on it just to be able to drive it. I had to replace the front u joints and the rear brake cylinders and shoes. I replaced all hoses after the rad was leaking for about three weeks and blew off the rad cap. I had the tech check it after I replaced the thermostat. It was sticking. I did replace the drivers seat from a bone yard. All my work had been to get it drivable. When I got it the spindle was resting on the old u joints. The heater control valve broke when I checked it. It was very old. I spent money on that too. The heater hoses had to be custom fitted and were a royal pain. I am hoping that the head gasket is not leaking. there is no anti-freeze in the oil or anything. It have a bad feeling that something might be wrong with it but hope not. Mine is not as loud as your at start up but pretty close. I still have exhaust fumes and think it is that exhaust leak. I hope. I am new to the Jeep world since my last vehicle was a 2007 mustang which I spent 3 k on it in a year and have nothing to show for it. This Jeep is paid for so it is an investment. I would like to get a newer 1997 in the future and want this one to last at least two years. If the engine goes, then I would have to consider getting another one and not rebuild or replace this engine. the tech has checked it twice and had not found any major problems, but I am getting paranoid. Thanks. I will let you know what he finds. Getting money together to get it worked on again. I want to get the front and rear seals replaced and the tech wants to inspect the gears anyway. 4x4 works great and the Jeep has plenty of power. It would have beat my stang off the line. Need new plugs and wires and timing checked. The lugs were original with the tin covers so if you have those you should get rid of them for the steel ones. I had 50/50 on the lugs and was able to save only four unrusted steel lugs. why would the last owner replace half the lugs? If you have the tin covered lugs and they come off then the nut under there is an odd size. My full size spare had no air in it either. Got mine from a used car lot and they did the minimal. the tech was not happy when he took off the rear drums and there were no shoes on the passenger side. Jeep was not taken care off before I got it. Cant wait for snow.