Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough idle, bucking, and backfiring through intake.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rough idle, bucking, and backfiring through intake.

I have an 87 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 4x4 with automatic transmission. All of a sudden it started missing with hesitation and now when you put it in gear it won't take fuel. However it will take fuel when in park but has a very bad miss. Ive put a new distributer, cap and rotor button on as well as new plugs and wires. New throttle position sensor, idle position sensor and a crankshaft position sensor. Checked all wiring and vacuum lines everything is good there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

My first inclination would be something having to do with the manifold absolute pressure sensor, its wiring/grounding or the vacuum line associated with it. Check the connector to verify that you have 4.5-5.0VDC AND a ground in 2 of the 3 terminals. Remove the plastic line that runs from it to the manifold, plug one end and check with a hand-held vacuum pump/gauge. Some cracks don't show up so easily to the eye. Then, using the pump/gauge and a volt meter, check that the output voltage changes based on applied vacuum.

Once you've done that, let me know.