Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough Country or Rubicon Express.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rough Country or Rubicon Express.....

I didn't want to jack the other thread going on right now "Rough Country or Rusty's....", but it appears that Rough Country is the opinion of most. Now I would like to know what people would say about Rough Country vs RE. I'm looking to get about 4.5" with full leaf packs and run 31s for now. So I guess that would be comparing the RE SuperFlex 3.5" kit (which apparently nets 4.5") to the RC 4.5" kit.

Basically, is the RE worth the extra $$$. I do plan to wheel it, but will spend most of its time as a DD with a 60 mile round trip commute on some rough *** concrete interstate. I'm willing to pay a little extra if the RE will really deliver on the ride. Also, is there a quality difference between the two brands? I plan to keep this XJ for a long time, so I'm willing to pay to a degree if there's really a difference.

I realize that this is very subjective, but appreciate anyone's opinions as well as "facts" if there are any.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0 I6

rough country is better in my opinion
Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.

From all of the research that I have done, If you can afford RE, go RE. They are some of the most well put together kits out there.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yep I love my RE lift for sure. Very good parts and well put together and complete kits. Rough Country is good for the money. It all boils down to how much you want to spend. Both companies make good lifts and opinions on them will very but I have yet to meet anyone who has anything bad to say about RE.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by parkerbabco
rough country is better in my opinion
your opinion is wrong unfortunately.

RE's stuff is worlds above RC and Rusty's.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 93XJLI

That's a mighty bold statement.. Maybe to him RC is better and to you RE is better. You can't just walk in and make a statement of fact like this without valid proof, that's just asinine. When it comes to lift kits everyone has their own opinions and thoughts as to which is better but without proof it's nothing more then your opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Half_Brotha216 (06-20-2021)
Old 03-25-2009, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

Originally Posted by 93XJLI

Your opinion is wrong RE is not "worlds better" I have owned jeeps with both brands of kits, and they both had many, many of the same features and qualities BUT RE is worlds more expensive which makes it worse for anyone that cares about money(IE. not crazy rich)you could buy the lift wheels and tires from RC and they will mount and balance and send you lug for the price of a comparable lift from RE. RE is a nice lift but I will not buy another till they chop their prices by like 40%

Last edited by bigbadxj; 03-25-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

So RE is way overpriced I take it? I've been considering one of their lifts.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by LazersGoPEWPEW
So RE is way overpriced I take it? I've been considering one of their lifts.
You are never going to get a straight answer on a question like this as it totally depends on what you use it for, financial situations, etc. Way too many variables.

I would go RC over all others because I like their pricing, My rig is a DD/weekend wheeler, and they have their new control arms with rebuildable flex joints now so thats an added plus. My opinion is heavily weighed by cost though. If you were to ask someone who has unltd. funds, they'd probably tell you to go RE.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, read all the opinions given to a thread like this with a grain of salt. Take all the info and try to apply it to your situation and then make a decision for yourself because after all is said and done, its you who has to live with it.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
That's a mighty bold statement.. Maybe to him RC is better and to you RE is better. You can't just walk in and make a statement of fact like this without valid proof, that's just asinine. When it comes to lift kits everyone has their own opinions and thoughts as to which is better but without proof it's nothing more then your opinion.
That's what I'm looking for is proof that RE is better, if there is any. Such as, they use such and such process to make their leafs or use this kind of steel or whatever... I definitely don't have unlimited funds, but can swing the RE lift right now if I delay some other things.

So maybe the better question is "if they were the same price, which is better and why?"
Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by BudgetXJ
You are never going to get a straight answer on a question like this as it totally depends on what you use it for, financial situations, etc. Way too many variables.

I would go RC over all others because I like their pricing, My rig is a DD/weekend wheeler, and they have their new control arms with rebuildable flex joints now so thats an added plus. My opinion is heavily weighed by cost though. If you were to ask someone who has unltd. funds, they'd probably tell you to go RE.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, read all the opinions given to a thread like this with a grain of salt. Take all the info and try to apply it to your situation and then make a decision for yourself because after all is said and done, its you who has to live with it.
Sounds like I need to go with rough country based on you own experience. I plan on doing much of the same with probably less wheeling.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I can tell you RE and Rough Country order there Leafs from the same manufacture in Canada. So other than there spring rates they are the same..
Old 03-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
That's what I'm looking for is proof that RE is better, if there is any. Such as, they use such and such process to make their leafs or use this kind of steel or whatever... I definitely don't have unlimited funds, but can swing the RE lift right now if I delay some other things.

So maybe the better question is "if they were the same price, which is better and why?"

A couple minutes on their respective websites and I've come up with this: RE 3.5" SF kit has sway bar disconnects, SS rear brake line, and flex joints on their lower control arms. RC, on their 4.5" kit, provides new sway bar links but as far as I can tell, not disconnectable, Brake line drop brackets, and no flex joints (call them and I'm sure you can get them substituted but probably for more money). If they were the same price, go RE. The prices listed on the sites there's only $100 difference between the kits you are looking at.

The other thing that you should do is talk to Jason at RC. From what I've read, he's awesome to deal with.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by LazersGoPEWPEW
Sounds like I need to go with rough country based on you own experience. I plan on doing much of the same with probably less wheeling.
I only have a BB in my rig now. I'm still in the "looking into it" phase of going taller but am leaning heavily towards RC as long as I get the control arms with the flex joints in them which I have just realized are only listed with their 6.5" kits on their website. I'll be talking to Jason at RC about my options as far as substitution of CA's etc. before I make my final decision. Oh and also to ge my 10% discount.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM

Well I can tell you honestly if I hadn't gotten such a sweet deal on my RE 3.5 kit I would have gone with RC. I got the RE 3.5 Super RIde, RE Twin Tube shocks, RE1600 trackbar all shipped to my door for right at $700. Normal price should have been closer to $900+. When I bought my lift I was going to get the RC 4.5" kit but couldn't pass on the RE kit, it rides a little lower which is what I wanted and it's top quality. I do however wish I had gone with the Monotube shocks.

Quick Reply: Rough Country or Rubicon Express.....