Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Roof rot at upper windshield seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Default Roof rot at upper windshield seal

I have a 99 XJ I had thought I had the thing dialed in until after a recent rain, the floors console top and parts of the dash had puddles of water. never done this before. I poked and prodded around and found the upper gasket surface area had rust just under the rubber trim. It was so bad I could poke through it. It now seams that most of the entire upper windshield seal area is rotted out this is the only area on the jeep that is rusty. Is this typical any known causes. Not sure what to do with it Dosent seem worth the cost to fix it.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Not typical in my area.

It could be fixed by taking out the headliner and windshield. Cutting out the old rusty metal and fabbing in new, or use a section from a rust-free Jeep in a salvage yard.

Either way, it's a lot of work and time. Might be better to sell it as is with disclosure.

Last edited by Firestorm500; 11-15-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by joes99xj
I have a 99 XJ I had thought I had the thing dialed in until after a recent rain, the floors console top and parts of the dash had puddles of water. never done this before. I poked and prodded around and found the upper gasket surface area had rust just under the rubber trim. It was so bad I could poke through it. It now seams that most of the entire upper windshield seal area is rotted out this is the only area on the jeep that is rusty. Is this typical any known causes. Not sure what to do with it Dosent seem worth the cost to fix it.
I have a 93 with rust in the same area. I plan on pulling the windshield (and tossing it, cracked all the way across). Cutting out the bad and forming new sheet metal to replace (I like a challenge). Relatively inexpensive if you have the time and tools. There are two parts spot welded together and part of the lower piece is also rusted so will have to be cut out and replaced. Right now, to get it through Winter I have caulked the roof with silicone sealant to keep water from coming in but that won't keep the roof from continuing to rust.

Since my XJ was damaged, it sat for two years before I could get to it. In that two years, the leak accelerated my floor rot due to the carpet retaining the moisture. It went from no visible damage from below to complete rot out. Best thing you can do if you have the leak is check your floors or pull the carpet altogether.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Not typical in my area.

It could be fixed by taking out the headliner and windshield. Cutting out the old rusty metal and fabbing in new, or use a section from a rust-free Jeep in a salvage yard.

Either way, it's a lot of work and time. Might be better to sell it as is with disclosure.

That's what I would do. It's not a collector vehicle.
You are probably right, but my XJ has been my fav for years and if taken care of like aircraft, it will last your lifetime barring an accident. I plan on keeping mine until it is completely useless or until I am.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Windshield & it's frame are safety items, in a crash a less than adequate repair could mean the difference between walking away or not.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

seriously not that hard of a fix at all.

i had a windshield guy come to my house to replace my cracked windshield, noticed the rot at the top, so he used aluminum tape to fill in the area and used extra sealant when he set the new windshield, then after he put the trim back on, he taped off the area and ran another bead along each side of the trim. he said it would likely only last a couple years but that was maybe 6 years ago.

a friend owns a body shop and does this repair often. he actually uses the same glass guy. lol. he's cheap and mobile.

i say give it a go. you can either do it my way, or it won't cost you much for either the metal or a piece from a donor jeep and weld it in.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Windshield & it's frame are safety items, in a crash a less than adequate repair could mean the difference between walking away or not.
It's frame are two pieces of thin sheet metal spot welded together. The windshield is safety glass.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99

Around here there isn't a glass guy that will install a window or reseal over rust. For now I will just have to clean it up and reseal it till my daughter heads off to college next fall.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Try foil tape. Not the cloth backed stuff people usually think of as duct tape, but the real thing made of aluminum. This stuff will last.

Like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_225505-98-33...=tape+aluminum
Old 10-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Seasoned Member

so i have the same issue with my 97XJ. i pulled the trim off to find this

i took it to a local metal shop that will actually work with rust and they quoted me $950 to cut it out and fab in new metal. thing is, they didn't even really touch or poke around, they just looked at it and worked up a quote. so....i took my quote and went home.

i took a wire brush to it to clean it up and see what i was dealing with. after i cleaned it up it doesn't look to bad. i poked and prodded with a screwdriver to see if it would go through and there isn't anywhere that its completely rusted through, its still solid. can i take the windshield out then take a grinder to it and get down to metal and then prime it and be on my way (with a new windshield installed of course)?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

sure, but i would use either a flap disc or a braided wire cup on the grinder, just so you don't burn through the metal.
i would also look into a small can of POR15 to coat that up, just wire brush it and apply to rust. it will never rust again.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Member

any advice on how to go about removing the old windshield?
Old 10-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Member

thanks caged
Old 10-13-2016, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jon71203
any advice on how to go about removing the old windshield?
http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-96339.html
Old 10-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
thanks. have you done this? if so, any tips?

Quick Reply: Roof rot at upper windshield seal