Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ripping out carpet???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ripping out carpet???

do you think it is a good idea to rip out the carpet on a dd or is the added road noice overwhelming? also if i go this route i want to just rattle can it black and then possibly a layer of textured or ruberized on top... is this a good way to go or should i just go ahead and herculine it?? thanks guys
Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by jeep_guy3
do you think it is a good idea to rip out the carpet on a dd or is the added road noice overwhelming? also if i go this route i want to just rattle can it black and then possibly a layer of textured or ruberized on top... is this a good way to go or should i just go ahead and herculine it?? thanks guys
Well I ripped the carpet out of the cargo area to test this..IMHO it added way to much noise. I am going to replace all my carpet and when I do rhino line it and toss either vinyl or new carpet in.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a bit of the problem I ripped out the carpet in my 89 and hurculined it and it was noisey but I was able to put up with it since I was willing to give up a little comfort for the ease of cleaning the inside of my Jeep.... however if you remove the carpet and put in a liner you can always replace the carpet and it is a good way to keep floor rust at bay so it is IMHO a worth while thing to do.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

I pulled my carpet out in the occupant to dry it out due to a water leak. It wasnt only loud as hell, but you also hear everything else goin on with the Jeep. I thought mine was falling apart there were so many rattles, squeaks, and god knows what else.....

If you rubberize it I'm sure it will help.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.

I took out all carpet and bed-lined every exposed metal surface on my last xj. Would I do it again?? NO!!!! So Noisy!. If it were a trail only rig, then for ease of cleaning, I'd say its a great idea but not on a dd. Not for me again anyways.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:33 PM

thanks for all the info guys! i wasnt sure how much louder it would be but it sounds like it will be too overwhelming for a daily driver. my thing is i am going to run tube doors in the summer so i was thinking it would be nice to have no carpet if on the off chance this dessert sees rain hahah but with tube doors if we get rain then it will dry out pretty easy, and if it gets too wet and soggy then i guess i will rip up the carpet to save my baby from rust ahaha... how much is it to herculine the entire inside???
Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.

Duplicolor makes a decent kit that comes with about a gallon of liner and a roller and brush. I think it was around $80-$100 up here (Canada) so its probably under $50 down there (assuming ur in the states) given the way pricing on stuff usually goes.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I ripped my carpet out of my 93 DD and plan on lining it soon. Reason for doing so was of my constantly wet carpet. I've since put new floor boards in from.
http://www.rustrepair.com/BODY_PANEL...EP-CHEROKEE.84
Just a little more interior body work in cargo area before I line him.
So my advise. Rip it out(carefully if you don't wont noise) line it and put it back it. Give your Jeep another 20 years of life.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Long Island XJ
I ripped my carpet out of my 93 DD and plan on lining it soon. Reason for doing so was of my constantly wet carpet. I've since put new floor boards in from.
www.rustrepair.com/BODY_PANELS/onlinecat.htm?r=rr&p=SM-JEEP-CHEROKEE.84
Just a little more interior body work in cargo area before I line him.
So my advise. Rip it out(carefully if you don't wont noise) line it and put it back it. Give your Jeep another 20 years of life.
How is the road noise for you? what liner are you gonna use you think?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Road noise is all right. Not on the highways that often. Live and work in same town. Its nice to be able to hear my new exhaust. I plan on using Durabak.
www.durabakcompany.com/index.htm
I"m on the beach surf casting from May-December, so I think i'm going sand color. My friend used black in his TJ and always looks dirty. His Jeep is very quiet by the way, even running 33 Mickey's.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Im also thinking about this. I have a couple holes in my floor that need to be fixed so I was going to rip out the carpet weld in new sheet metal for the floors. Grind it all down and then rhinoline it. Is there anything I can put to insulate it maybe between the rhinoliner and the floorboards to keep the noise down?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I don't think so. the liner needs to be applied to the floor it self. If your really worried about the noise put the carpet back in. but the amount of noise is really not that bad.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

I dont want to put my carpet in the PO had kids and they made a pretty good mess of the sand coloured carpet...lots of orange cheezie stains all over the floor..i had to completely clean the jeep 5 times just to get all the cheezies they left in there
Old 03-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Member

sorry to here that, my PO spilled one of those margarita mix tubs under the passenger seat and never cleaned it up. (women and booze go figure) I think that contributed to the big hole in my floor.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 96Cherokee
I dont want to put my carpet in the PO had kids and they made a pretty good mess of the sand coloured carpet...lots of orange cheezie stains all over the floor..i had to completely clean the jeep 5 times just to get all the cheezies they left in there
Buy new replacement carpet.

Quick Reply: ripping out carpet???