Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Right size battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Right size battery?

Why does the right battery listed at Costco smaller than the battery tray? I want the most long lasting, most cranking, battery I can get.

Does anyone know what full size battery I could get at Costco for maximum performance?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by brewer13
Why does the right battery listed at Costco smaller than the battery tray? I want the most long lasting, most cranking, battery I can get.

Does anyone know what full size battery I could get at Costco for maximum performance?

Thanks.
Sounds like you want to pay the least amount of money for the battery that has the label with the biggest number CCA.

Try an auto parts store...like NAPA or CarQuest. They can help you find a good quality battery. Usually at a reasonable price.

Or, you can get Optima `jelly roll` type with red tops, yellow tops, green tops, blue tops at every and all price points. The more you pay, the better the reputation...but the numbers on the labels stay the same!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by brewer13

Thanks.
The battery is a group size 34. But you have to remember the physical size is only important to make sure that it fits without hitting the hood when closed and so it fits in the holder. The thing that you want to really look at are the numbers. The battery size doesn't mean that it stronger or weaker. BTW. The Optima batteries are over rated. The quality has gone way down in the past several years. Personally I wouldn't spend all of the extra money for a battery that won't outlast a standard battery.

Last edited by RTorrez1; 11-21-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jamurrin
Sounds like you want to pay the least amount of money for the battery that has the label with the biggest number CCA.

Try an auto parts store...like NAPA or CarQuest. They can help you find a good quality battery. Usually at a reasonable price.

Or, you can get Optima `jelly roll` type with red tops, yellow tops, green tops, blue tops at every and all price points. The more you pay, the better the reputation...but the numbers on the labels stay the same!
This person is asking an honest question about battery size and you go an chastise him about it, and try to impose your choices and opinion.
Listen to Rtorrez1 he is giving an honest opinion.The numbers is what matters.If you live where it gets cold go by CCA (cold cranking amps)if not then use CA (cranking amps).The higher the better.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

buy a Sears Titanium battery
I bought 2 of them for my Ford SD diesel, last batteries I ever had to buy!!
4 yr warranty at any and all Sears stores
Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

I personally don't like department store batteries.

They won't last longer than the warranty. Sometimes much less. Yeah, I know they prorate, but the adjustment cost is often almost as much as a new battery.

They can and do die at the worst times. Personal experience.

I prefer Super Start batteries from O'Reillys.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
I personally don't like department store batteries.

They won't last longer than the warranty. Sometimes much less. Yeah, I know they prorate, but the adjustment cost is often almost as much as a new battery.

They can and do die at the worst times. Personal experience.

I prefer Super Start batteries from O'Reillys.
The sears Titanium is comparable to the Optima, about the same price, too

Use the DieHard Platinum Size 34/78DT Battery for Smooth and Comfortable Rides
The Group Size 34/78DT battery from DieHard is compatible with luxury vehicles fitted with electronic accessories. The battery features an Evolution Technology, which makes it durable, helps in quick ignition and offers easy maintenance. Use this battery with a long off-season storage time with your classic or vintage cars.
With tin-coated brass terminals and 99.99 percent pure virgin lead plates, this DieHard Platinum Size 34/78DT Battery is long lasting, sturdy and reliable. It offers easy and flexible mounting facilitated by its Absorbed Glass Mat construction. These mats keep the acid in place and makes the battery vibration-resistant. With a sealed and non-spillable structure, the battery is safe for use.
Offering maintenance-free usage, the Group Size 34/78DT battery is a great choice for your family vehicle
With an 850 CCA, the battery offers quick ignition
Container is made from premium polycarbonate/polyester
A long off-season power and a reserve power of 135 minutes makes it suitable for use on classic or luxury cars
An AGM construction offers the battery longevity and mounting flexibility
Apt for off-road applications the battery is vibration-resistant and sports a military-grade construction
Item Weight: 53 lbs.
Dimensions: 10.9"(L) x 7.8"(W) x 7.8"(H)
Old 11-23-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by RRXJeeper71

The Group Size 34/78DT battery from DieHard is compatible with luxury vehicles fitted with electronic accessories. The battery features an Evolution Technology, which makes it durable, helps in quick ignition and offers easy maintenance. Use this battery with a long off-season storage time with your classic or vintage cars.
With tin-coated brass terminals and 99.99 percent pure virgin lead plates, this DieHard Platinum Size 34/78DT Battery is long lasting, sturdy and reliable. It offers easy and flexible mounting facilitated by its Absorbed Glass Mat construction. These mats keep the acid in place and makes the battery vibration-resistant. With a sealed and non-spillable structure, the battery is safe for use.
Offering maintenance-free usage, the Group Size 34/78DT battery is a great choice for your family vehicle
A long off-season power and a reserve power of 135 minutes makes it suitable for use on classic or luxury cars
Apt for off-road applications the battery is vibration-resistant and sports a military-grade construction
Either you work for Sears or search that description on the internet.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0l IL6

There are really only a handful of battery manufacturers in the world Johnson Controls, Deka/Oddesy, and another Chinese company come to mind. Most batteries are the same and just re-badged. Die hard Platinum is an Oddesy.

I run a platinum good battery, sealed (AGM), and a good warranty.

Any battery no matter how bad *** can be damaged from over discharge.

AGM (absorbent glasd mat) and gel (optima) are nice because the electrolyte does not have to be maintained and they can be mounted in any orientation. Power density can be greater with agm and gel, but this doesn't always dictate higher CCA, mostly reserve capacity. Capacity is thr amount of energy stored in a battery. CCA is energy delivery. They are intertwined in ways that I won't get into but bottom line, you get what you pay for and life is dependent on how you treat your batt.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by prcherokee
Either you work for Sears or search that description on the internet.
I thought the same thing. I'm not sure if he really knows or like you said he found it in the web and did a cut and paste. The one thing that was funny was "Use the DieHard Platinum Size 34/78DT Battery for Smooth and Comfortable Rides". How would a battery give you a more Smooth and Comfortable Ride??? Unless you are sitting on the battery while driving and it's padded.

Last edited by RTorrez1; 11-23-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I thought the same thing. I'm not sure if he really knows or like you said he found it in the web and did a cut and paste. The one thing that was funny was "Use the DieHard Platinum Size 34/78DT Battery for Smooth and Comfortable Rides". How would a battery give you a more Smooth and Comfortable Ride??? On less you are sitting on the battery while driving and it's padded.
LOL.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by RRXJeeper71

Sears? No. Quality has gone way down and their service is not existent. Best to stay away.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jake92
Sears? No. Quality has gone way down and their service is not existent. Best to stay away.
So True! The Die Hard battery use to be one of the better batteries you could buy but the have gone down hill a lot.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
So True! The Die Hard battery use to be one of the better batteries you could buy but the have gone down hill a lot.
Just replaced a Die Hard that was 2 months old in a customer's car earlier this week. I asked the customer "Why aren't you taking this to Sears to be done under warranty?" The reply "Sears said that the battery was improperly installed and that I abused the battery." A middle aged woman who puts full-synthetic oil every 3,000 miles in her Camry abuses her vehicle? Really? Also incorrect installation? Sears did it.

I'm going of on kind of a rant here but the point is Die hard is a no-go.

Personally, Autocraft (Advance) Super Start (O'Rilley), and the NAPA brand are probably the best bets. Duralast is iffy. Also if you can find an Energizer auto battery their pretty good (Has been in my XJ for a long while with 0 issues)
Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Gonna have to look into this smooth and comfortable ride providing quality battery...all this time I thought batteries where irrelevant when it came to that....
Maybe it even is the cure for DW....

Quick Reply: Right size battery?