Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

RHD Import engine scanner hook up

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default RHD Import engine scanner hook up

New here, I have a 1995 Japanese Import RHD XJ 4.0 auto A/C. Has anyone had experience with hooking up an engine scanner to read sensor data? I have the older Snap-on scanner (the brick) and it shows no communication. On the normal US built XJ the 5th vin character is a J,( for XJ4x4) but on the Japanese Import RHD the 5th vin is a N. I am thinking this is why the scanner wont recognize the vehicle because there is no "N" option. I have tried all the other options to fool it but it wont pull up the vehicle. Thanks for taking time to read my post
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Some ideas:

So, you tried the N (for '95 I-6 - USA Version) and it didn't communicate, is that what you're saying? Did you try other 5-th digit codes (at random) to see if any would allow it to 'talk' to yer jeep? What if you try a different year? I've had a few vehicles where I tried a different year and it talked.

I know this might seem like a dumb question, but ..you did verify with another vehicle that your cable is good?

Do you have import cartridges (Asian) that list Jeep? I have Asian cartridges, but honestly I've never looked to see if Jeep was on the list.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Jeepwalker
Some ideas:

So, you tried the N (for '95 I-6 - USA Version) and it didn't communicate, is that what you're saying? Did you try other 5-th digit codes (at random) to see if any would allow it to 'talk' to yer jeep? What if you try a different year? I've had a few vehicles where I tried a different year and it talked.

I know this might seem like a dumb question, but ..you did verify with another vehicle that your cable is good?

Do you have import cartridges (Asian) that list Jeep? I have Asian cartridges, but honestly I've never looked to see if Jeep was on the list.
The scanner does not offer the N option I have tried all the other option J,T,X,Y and none work. I did go back and try different years with no success. Good hint on the Import software!! There is a Chrysler Import option in that software but sadly none of those seem to work either. The cords are all new and I have verified the scanners function with another pre-1996 vehicle. So I have two possibilities...The scanner CANT recognize my RHD Import Cherokee OR I have a problem with my Cherokee that is stopping communication. I remember back in the day there were user manuals with this scanner but I no longer have them. They did have tips on dealing with no communication in the sense where the problem would be with the vehicle. Thanks for responding!****MORE INFO**** Of the 6 terminals in my data link 4 are used. Blu/Wht= Bat voltage, Blk/Wht= Ground, Green= 5v, and Pink= nothing. No voltage or ground at the Pink wire. The Pink wire from the data link to the computer tested fine. The Green 5v wire and the Pink wire show as "serial communication interface" in a diagram I got on line.

Last edited by Mainex; 01-26-2019 at 02:38 PM.