Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Reverse Lighting

Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 Cyl
Default Reverse Lighting

My 99's reverse lighting doeasnt work at all. I replaced the bulbs and checked the fuses, but it didint do anything, so i talked to the previous owner and he said he took the inside panel off to wire for the tow package and never finished, so i looked into it, and there are disconected and connected wires everywhere, and i was wonderin if anybody knew what wires went to where so i could hook my reverse lights back up and my tow package to work also. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by 96swampdog
My 99's reverse lighting doeasnt work at all. I replaced the bulbs and checked the fuses, but it didint do anything, so i talked to the previous owner and he said he took the inside panel off to wire for the tow package and never finished, so i looked into it, and there are disconected and connected wires everywhere, and i was wonderin if anybody knew what wires went to where so i could hook my reverse lights back up and my tow package to work also. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.
Without seeing it, I would suggest putting the wires by the kick panel back together matching colors. Then I believe there are adapters for the trailer wiring that plug in (a tee connector) at one of the rear tail lights.

All this is assuming there's no electric trailer brake interface.

But realize that reverse lights are controlled by the NSS. So maybe the actual problem is in that switch.

Last edited by bobvalli; 09-17-2011 at 07:19 PM.