Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing stock suspension. Question/Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing stock suspension. Question/Help

Hey everyone.
Let me state that I am a relatively inexperienced with the XJ. I'm a simple backyard mechanic and try to do all my own work. Its a 2001 sport and I am the second owner. Its been well maintained as far as the engine goes but the suspension has been neglected. I intend on using the car for daily commute to work and a few trips a year to go camping and snowboarding in VT/ME. (I'm in western CT) Ride comfort is important but being able to get around some trails and the heavy snow is also high on my priority list. I already know what tires I want but being new to this jeep world i wanted to get some opinions about suspension.

After reading on here about sagging leaf springs i went and measured mine. not only is the distance from wheel center to fender only 16 inches but the leaves themselves are as straight as an arrow and the shocks are also totally blown out.

Im on a tight budget due to my wedding that i'm paying for this fall but I don't want to buy replacement parts that will only last a few months.
where/what brand makes the best bang for the buck stock replacement items. or is it more beneficial to go for a all in one lift and I don't feel that an add a leaf kit will benefit me due to the springs being so dead.

much thanks in advance for any and all advice that comes this way..
Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

A lot of people go with the Dorman 929301 leaf because they are a good price and the bushing come installed.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...af+spring,7544

I used them and they brought my rear up about an inch and a half.

I also went with the JKS ACOS adjustable system and has worked out well for me.

Amazon Amazon

Do some research before you get into those leafs, they can be a bear at times. The bushings seize around the bolts and have to be heated or cut on the rear. Or the bolt will break loose inside of the unibody and spin on the front. Quite a bit of info out there on how to get it done.

You can get it done just plan for it to take longer than if everything broke loose like it is supposed to.

Last edited by jhc7399; 03-08-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by jhc7399
A lot of people go with the Dorman 929301 leaf because they are a good price and the bushing come installed.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...af+spring,7544

I used them and they brought my rear up about an inch and a half.

I also went with the JKS ACOS adjustable system and has worked out well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/JKS-2200-Adju.../dp/B005TTZ7L4

Do some research before you get into those leafs, they can be a bear at times. The bushings seize around the bolts and have to be heated or cut on the rear. Or the bolt will break loose inside of the unibody and spin on the front. Quite a bit of info out there on how to get it done.

You can get it done just plan for it to take longer than if everything broke loose like it is supposed to.
Thanks for the info. What is the purpose of the JKS product you listed and what about shocks and springs? do I just buy replacements from Autozone?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlm01XJ
Thanks for the info. What is the purpose of the JKS product you listed and what about shocks and springs? do I just buy replacements from Autozone?
The leaf springs he listed lift the rear a bit...the jks is to level the front...you can get shocks at autozone but I'm not sure the quality ones
Old 03-08-2017, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

When replacing rear shocks, the upper bolts usually break. There are videos on Youtube for a cheap fix, or you can buy a flagnut kit from Rough Country (part #1082), which is what i used. Either way, you will have to knock the old bolts and welded nut out with a hammer and punch, or an air hammer. Air hammer is way quicker. Wear safety goggles.

The front shocks arent quite as bad, unless the nuts up top are fused solid. I had to Dremel both sides. I tightened the new nuts until the rubber was about the same diameter as the washers. I went with KYB GR2, but have not driven it yet aside from turning it around in the driveway for some welding.

Also, dont overlook the front or rear bumpstops as they keep the suspension from bottoming out, which can result in blown shocks. My 97 Sport has no lift so i went with Crown #52004295 for the front, and #52004297 for the rear. They are factory equivalents.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
When replacing rear shocks, the upper bolts usually break. There are videos on Youtube for a cheap fix, or you can buy a flagnut kit from Rough Country (part #1082), which is what i used. Either way, you will have to knock the old bolts and welded nut out with a hammer and punch, or an air hammer. Air hammer is way quicker. Wear safety goggles.

The front shocks arent quite as bad, unless the nuts up top are fused solid. I had to Dremel both sides. I tightened the new nuts until the rubber was about the same diameter as the washers. I went with KYB GR2, but have not driven it yet aside from turning it around in the driveway for some welding.

Also, dont overlook the front or rear bumpstops as they keep the suspension from bottoming out, which can result in blown shocks. My 97 Sport has no lift so i went with Crown #52004295 for the front, and #52004297 for the rear. They are factory equivalents.
Wow, thanks for the heads up on that rough country part..It seems that doing these replacements I may want to order extra hardware? for the just in case moment when something breaks like you've described. Are there any other gremlins that are common when replacing these components?
Old 03-09-2017, 05:33 AM

I was re reading the info in this thread, which btw is great thanks, and I noticed that I totally forgot to mention that Im looking to install 31" tires and I know that requires some small lift. I dont know if this new aspect changes the information that you guys have already provided but any other help or advice would be great.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:15 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I was re reading the info in this thread, which btw is great thanks, and I noticed that I totally forgot to mention that Im looking to install 31" tires and I know that requires some small lift. I dont know if this new aspect changes the information that you guys have already provided but any other help or advice would be great.
For 31's you'll have to either:
a) ditch your flares and trim up to the lip
b) keep you flares, don't trim, and lift it 3" - which requires more than just shocks and springs.

If you decide to just trim, you'll need to get wheels with some more backspacing than the OEMs. They will rub the LCAs and swaybar ends if you don't. Between 4 and 3.5" backspacing on an 8" wide wheel is best. Make sure you extend your bumpstops if you're going offroad though or your tires will bash your fenders and your fenders will put cuts in your tread.

Here's some pics for reference..

31x10.5r15 on 15x8 TJ Canyons w/ trimming and no lift.

Click for full res

Click for full res

The tires tuck into the fenderwells okay, but they rub the LCAs and swaybar ends... also the pinch seam up front if you don't knock it flat.

Same tires and suspension with 15x8 Cragar D-windows and 4" backspacing

Click for full res

Click for full res

Rubs the fenders pretty bad, but doesn't rub the LCAs and whatnot

Same wheels, tires, and trimming but on 3.5" lift....

Click for full res

... and 32" tires w/ extended front bumpstops

Click for full res

That help you any?
Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM

That does help alot,
Although I just want to be sure that I got the right info. If planning on getting 31 tires, can I just do a Budget boost? Ive read around that some guys get away with it. A 3" lift is kind of out of my budget(from the pricing I have found)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

If you are going to replace the rear leafs, and you really want to go to 3 inches, just buy new leafs that are going to get you to 3 inches. I do not see the sense in buying upcountry leafs with shackles to get to 3 inches. This is just my opinion. I have no idea what your budget is, but morris 4x4 has the zone 3" lift for $530? shipped. Does not have a track bar but you can relocate the OEM until you can get a new one. You can also see how much leafs only are from Rusty's or other companies, get JK wrangler shocks, and coil spacers for the front. There are just too many combinations to list without knowing your budget.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:07 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

A set of leaf springs from a junkyard S10, Dakota, or Durango will give about 3" and the shackle from a dakota will give about 1.5" more.

For your coil springs, you could find a pair from a v8 ZJ and then get a set of cheap coil spacers or even better the ACOS adjustable spacers.

A set of JK Rubicon shocks will be good for that amount of lift w/ some bar pin eliminators thrown in with 'em.

Here's a thread w/ ideas on building up your Jeep on the cheap:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bud...herokee-58797/
Old 03-09-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Basslicks
A set of leaf springs from a junkyard S10, Dakota, or Durango will give about 3" and the shackle from a dakota will give about 1.5" more.

For your coil springs, you could find a pair from a v8 ZJ and then get a set of cheap coil spacers or even better the ACOS adjustable spacers.

A set of JK Rubicon shocks will be good for that amount of lift w/ some bar pin eliminators thrown in with 'em.

Here's a thread w/ ideas on building up your Jeep on the cheap:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bud...herokee-58797/

I appreciate the info, and if this were my project car I would probably go the salvage yard route, also I dont know of any good salvage yards here in CT. However the fiance would rather see me buy new items, and ZERO trimming lol.
After reading all this would it be outrageous for me to simply buy OEM spec replacement parts but instead use the dorman leaves and a spacer up front to get the needed 2" lift for the 31s to fit? If not then perhaps I need to reconsider the 31s.

I thought I could get even stock leaves and just at the 2" shackle and appropriate spacer up front to get the 2"s?

Again if Im totally wrong let me know.

Last edited by Dlm01XJ; 03-09-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

You need 3 inches to clear 31s. The dorman leaves only lift 1 inch so you would need shackles. So why not just get a 3 inch kit then right away?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:24 PM

Ive priced out the items individually and they are way cheaper than the cheapest full leaf spring 3" kit unless theres one I dont know about. Im not apposed to a full kit but I havent found them for less than 550. Again I may be looking in the wrong spot.

Do the 2" shackles and dorman + spacer up front work?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Ive priced out the items individually and they are way cheaper than the cheapest full leaf spring 3" kit unless theres one I dont know about. Im not apposed to a full kit but I havent found them for less than 550. Again I may be looking in the wrong spot.

Do the 2" shackles and dorman + spacer up front work?
schackles are going to ride rougher then a complete pack, and also wear out leaf packs quicker than usual. Use the spacer up front if you want, but invest in full 3 inch packs in the rear I say.