Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

replacing front imtermedite shaft axle seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation replacing front imtermedite shaft axle seals

so i pulled out the pass front axle shaft in my jeep today and removed the new 4wd actuator housing to get at the seal for the axle shaft because it was leaking out the end of the tube. i get the new part and a make a tool to "pull it back in" consists of a threaded rod, a shock washer for the seal to sit against when pulling, then a piece of flat metal for the end of the axle tube, and two nuts, one for each end. here is how it was supposed to work. i tighten the nut on the end of the axle housing to pull the seal into place. it worked but i couldn't get the seal in straight. it kept going in the wrong way and you can never see if it was in straight or not, it looks straight, but some how it isnt.

I'm posting this up in hopes of someone saying "hey, i did that before, here is how i did it"

I'm hard pressed to find a seal before tuesday. sucks.

any info or ideas or say"this worked for me" would be exactly what im looking for!!!

thanks so much for all the ideas!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I have a 91 and i have the same problem.. A friend told me to do the same thing as you. That it worked for him with no problem.. Well like you it didnt work for me.. The 1st replacement seal i got mad and beat with a hammer untill i felt better and the 2nd replacement seal is still in the frezzer.. Il let you know how round 2 goes...
Jim..