Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacement wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Replacement wiring

Where can I get a full replacement of wiring for my Jeep? The PO decided that he would cut open all of the black tubing that held the wires, and splice in his own stereo system. All of my wiring is held together with packing tape and the like. And there are left overs from his sound system that are just chopped and left for dead. Any suggestions on where to get the replacement?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:00 AM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Junkyard. What wiring did he cut in to? to install a stereo even in the most ghetto way would only involve cutting off the stock radio plug and splicing into there. Are you sure it wasnt an alarm/remote starter? those can involve splicing into several diff harnesses.

Replacing any wiring harness in the dash is gonna be a long PITA job as you will have to remove most of the dash to get to the wiring behind it. It would be MUCH easier to spend the time to properly replace any taped splices with crimp connectors or solder/heatshrink. As for the dead end wires they make crimp on and push on caps to cover them or you can slide some heatshrink on leaving some empty tube then heat it till it shrinks to the wire and pinch the open end shut with pliers or your fingers.

Last edited by G_P; 08-03-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:27 AM

All the corrugated black wire tubing has been removed and replaced with tape. There is no radio or speakers. Wires are everywhere. I'm just worried about how waterproof it's going to be.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 AM

Year: 1991

Agree with GP. Please try to be a little more specific when you say "all" and "everywhere". It probably looks overwhelming but try to narrow things down. None of the wiring under the hood shoild have been touched to install a stereo...right? So hopefully that eliminates the engine harness. That leaves the chassis harness...where did he hack it up?...under the dash?...under the carpet?...where?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Wrong. I followed the wires from where my cd deck should be, at it comes straight into the engine bay and it's taped to a strand of wires. There are hacked up pieces of wiring under and behind the dash. The wire under the carpet is almost none existent, and I do know this because I just replaced the carpet. I found sections of wire that led from nowhere to nowhere in the engine bay. He bought a marine battery terminal, the one that branches into two, and used one side to add wires into the main areas. Let me get a camera, and I take some pictures.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:34 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

That sounds bad. Get those pics up so we can see what your working with.

If he really did hack up the wiring that bad i would be amazed if the thing even ran. Does everything work? Like the dash,HVAC,power accessories, etc.... the dead end wiring may be stuff he added and the stock wiring may be ok.

If all else fails your looking at a rather large job of stripping the wiring harnesses out of a junkyard XJ and swapping them into yours. Make sure you take good pics to remember how the wiring is routed and a manual would be a great help in getting the whole truck apart and back together.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Zero, what year is your XJ? A lot of the interior wiring did not come with the split loom. It was taped from the factory and even the underhood wiring was usually tape wrapped before the loom was installed.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Year: 1991

Doesn't sound good...must have been more than just a stereo...perhaps a security system and remote start as well. Anyways, at the bare minimum, you will need the factory service manual for your model year (btw...what year are we talking about). Nowadays the wiring is just too complicated...a repair manual that covers many years is too general for your problem. With a manual and lots of patience and some splicing skill you should be able to clean things up. Use quality wire, splices,etc., avoid some of the hardware store crap. Look into what companies like Painless or Ron Francis have to offer.