Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replaced U Joint, Now all kinds of noises and no brakes

Old 08-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Replaced U Joint, Now all kinds of noises and no brakes

So I just replaced the driver's side u-joint on the front axle, and now I have all kinds of grinding noises and NO BRAKES! I checked brake lines and didn't find any leaks. There is some diff fluid that came out but I figure that's from pulling the shaft. What could have happened to cause this? Its a 98 Sport. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by Rocketeer14
So I just replaced the driver's side u-joint on the front axle, and now I have all kinds of grinding noises and NO BRAKES! I checked brake lines and didn't find any leaks. There is some diff fluid that came out but I figure that's from pulling the shaft. What could have happened to cause this? Its a 98 Sport. Thanks.
Explain the lack of braking. Does the pedal go to the floor? Does the pedal offer resistance but no braking? As far as the noises, I'm assuming the u-joint had full and fluid range of motion prior to reinstallation? Is the noise coming from the diff pumpkin or from the area of the hub carrier? Does it make the noise when you spin the tire with it off the ground? Do you have ABS?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Explain the lack of braking. Does the pedal go to the floor? Does the pedal offer resistance but no braking? As far as the noises, I'm assuming the u-joint had full and fluid range of motion prior to reinstallation? Is the noise coming from the diff pumpkin or from the area of the hub carrier? Does it make the noise when you spin the tire with it off the ground? Do you have ABS?
The pedal has resistance, but there is a pulse that correlates to a grinding sound. I didn't see any signs of rubbing with a brief inspection. The noise is from the hub area. Yes it has ABS and I have not gotten a chance to spin the tire while it was off the ground.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The grinding noise is the backing plate rubbing the rotor. Just bend it so it does not rub.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: Inline 6

Put your axle on a jack and spin the tire and figure out where the sounds coming from. Could be something simple as just rubbing or something grinding that might be a kinda serious. Never know till ya get under it and start looking
Old 08-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Through research, I think I have narrowed the no braking down to the abs ring. I have to wait for permitting weather to check, but that's the only thing that could keep all the brakes from engaging besides a fluid leak. So does anyone have a part number for the abs ring itself? I found some for zj's and pre-96 xj's, but shouldn't they be the same as long as its for a dana 30?
Old 08-12-2014, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

you probably broke your tone ring during the replacement of the u-joint.
they are replaceable, but your probably better off just finding another outer stub shaft.
the sound is probably just the abs motor.
i broke one once and just pulled the fuse and relay. no more abs...