Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

replaced rear trans seal, now leaking worse? also jeep died but runs now

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default replaced rear trans seal, now leaking worse? also jeep died but runs now

mines the 96 cherokee automatic 2wd and the rear trans seal was leaking not that bad but every week or so it would be down a quart, so i got a new one from autozone it was the same brand that i took out and same part number...

when i first put it in it didnt leak for like 3 days, then all of a sudden it started leaking really bad, even worse then before every 2 days now its down trans fluid so much when i come to a stop it feels like it goes into neutral and when i barely give it gas the revs go up past 1k then it grabs and goes as normal, then i put trans fluid in it as quickly as i can buy it....

i replaced it last week and so far ive gone through 8 quarts its pretty crappy, when i installed the new one i got the biggest socket i had that fit all the way around the seal and i hammered it in evenly till it bottomed out in the trans case...

ive never had an automatic so maybe its not supposed to go in that far but it made sense to me ...

also one day i was talking to a friend for a few minutes and i had the jeep idling and it just died out of nowhere, it started back up if i kept on the gas and would run but if i let off it would die, i drove it around and kept on the gas a little to keep rpms up and it stayed running but if i let off it would die, it only happened for a total of 5 minutes then it started running normal what could that be im sure its a sign of a part wearing out lol