Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

replaced leaky wheel cylinder; still mushy on pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L IL-6
Angry replaced leaky wheel cylinder; still mushy on pedal

Alright so two days ago I went out driving and I came home to see that my jeeps rear left brake drum was leaking real bad so I popped it open and saw that the wheel cylinder was leaking real bad. So i went out and bought a new one along with some shoes.

After I finished replacing the cylinder and the shoes I bled it about 4 times and then put everything back together and added more fluid. Now whenever I go out I have to push the brake pedal pretty far down before it actually starts stopping. I don't think it is leaking still because it caused the brake light to come on the first time and it hasn't been on since. If anyone has some suggestions on how to get it to be as stiff as it was before much would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:11 PM

spread the shoes with the star adjuster until you get a slight drag, if it is bled good, too much of your pedal travel is used just to get the shoes to make contact with the drum.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by sgt.arafak
Alright so two days ago I went out driving and I came home to see that my jeeps rear left brake drum was leaking real bad so I popped it open and saw that the wheel cylinder was leaking real bad. So i went out and bought a new one along with some shoes.

After I finished replacing the cylinder and the shoes I bled it about 4 times and then put everything back together and added more fluid. Now whenever I go out I have to push the brake pedal pretty far down before it actually starts stopping. I don't think it is leaking still because it caused the brake light to come on the first time and it hasn't been on since. If anyone has some suggestions on how to get it to be as stiff as it was before much would be appreciated.
Make sure both the drums are in good adjustment.

Did you only replace one cylinder? if you did, you may want to start checking into the other side also, dont be afraid to pull the rubber boot back a bit to see if its wet (on the cylinder).

Also double check all the fittings, make sure theyre tight, and maybe try a re-bleed.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by storm101
Make sure both the drums are in good adjustment.

Did you only replace one cylinder? if you did, you may want to start checking into the other side also, dont be afraid to pull the rubber boot back a bit to see if its wet (on the cylinder).

Also double check all the fittings, make sure theyre tight, and maybe try a re-bleed.
I did adjust the starwheel when i put them back together and yes I did only do one. but I tried to get the other one off and the bolt was so stripped that I would have to get a new brake line to do it haha. I'll hold off for a couple of months until it gets warm.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

I did adjust the starwheel when i put them back together and yes I did only do one. but I tried to get the other one off and the bolt was so stripped that I would have to get a new brake line to do it haha. I'll hold off for a couple of months until it gets warm.
It never hurts to double check the adjustment though. Them self adjuster cables inside that are supposed to keep the shoes in adjustment can be troublesome at times.

I just went through all this on the whole rear including the lines.....luckily the only thing i did have trouble on was one of them cables.

Could be as simple as more air in the lines or them shoes out of adjustment. I would just double check...brakes are important lol!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blled them again . Start with the farthest from the master cylinder to the closest.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 PM

How do I bleed the disc brakes
Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do I bleed the disc brakes
The same way you bleed the drums.