Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replace AC Clutch... or entire compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replace AC Clutch... or entire compressor?

Finding mixed info on the subject... I have a '98 that the clutch on the AC is not engaging. Can I replace just the clutch, or should I replace the entire compressor. If the entire compressor, what brand? Rock Auto has Sanden(OEM if I'm not mistaken) for $158.... seems cheap?!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by YFZsandrider
Finding mixed info on the subject... I have a '98 that the clutch on the AC is not engaging. Can I replace just the clutch, or should I replace the entire compressor. If the entire compressor, what brand? Rock Auto has Sanden(OEM if I'm not mistaken) for $158.... seems cheap?!
You can actually rebuild that clutch. I have read an article on the web about doing that on an XJ. I didn't save the link but a Google search should find it.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Why replace the entire compressor if the clutch is the only thing that is bad. You can start be removing a shim behind the clutch and see if that helps. There are several write ups on how to do it on here. Many people have had the same problem and removing a shim (washer) took care of the problem.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do this. It works! Clutch tool helps. Here's a cheap one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004KE...sr=8-1&pi=SL75
Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM

In that video he mentions the ac working for 10 or 15 minutes, then not kicking back on. Mine will not engage in the first place at all, unless you put a screw driver against one of the rivet heads on the ac pulley and give it a firm kick start.

I found this out as I took it in to have it recharged. The AC guy pulled the charge off the system and said if I bring it back after replacing the compressor, he'll put the charge on it without costing me any more. So is pulling one of the shims out just a band aid that will get a little more life out of it, making me replace the compressor shortly down the road? If so, I'd rather replace the compressor now?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

In that video he mentions the ac working for 10 or 15 minutes, then not kicking back on. Mine will not engage in the first place at all, unless you put a screw driver against one of the rivet heads on the ac pulley and give it a firm kick start.

I found this out as I took it in to have it recharged. The AC guy pulled the charge off the system and said if I bring it back after replacing the compressor, he'll put the charge on it without costing me any more. So is pulling one of the shims out just a band aid that will get a little more life out of it, making me replace the compressor shortly down the road? If so, I'd rather replace the compressor now?

Thanks for the help guys!
One of my fiends had the same problem and he took out one of the shims and he hasn't had a problem with his ac since and he did it going on 3 years ago. But if you want to replace the compressor that is completely your choice. I'm not saying that yours will last as long has his is but personally it is worth trying.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
One of my fiends had the same problem and he took out one of the shims and he hasn't had a problem with his ac since and he did it going on 3 years ago. But if you want to replace the compressor that is completely your choice. I'm not saying that yours will last as long has his is but personally it is worth trying.
And free!

Unless the guy is holding you to ransom and want you to buy a compressor from him!
I mean seriously if it's a question of the clutch not engaging you don't need a new compressor.

That's like saying your clutch on your 5 speed is worn out so we're going to have to replace the transmission.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

For how long? Removing shims is a band aid fix at best because there is very little friction material left at that point. If the clutch locks up solid on a bad compressor you are SOL. Whats the static pressure at what ambient?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

I figure it this way. Sometime it's the cheapest part that needs replacing and sometime it's the most expensive.
My Grandfather taught me the KISS principle.
Keep it simple stupid!
The OP says he can get the clutch to engage with a screw driver.
Does the compressor check out fine after that? Are you getting the pressures required? No idea as his mechanic has told him to REPLACE the unit.
If you got lots of money well go ahead. Me? Not so much.
I'd take out the shim first and try that. Total cost? 1 hour of my time.
If it works OK now, and the compressor checks out fine then I know I need a clutch down the road. Maybe $50 -75. Compressor is fubared? well then buy a new compressor. Potential savings is at least $100. That's a tank of gas for me and maybe 2 for you guys south of here.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
For how long? Removing shims is a band aid fix at best because there is very little friction material left at that point. If the clutch locks up solid on a bad compressor you are SOL. Whats the static pressure at what ambient?
Woa. All that static and ambient pressure talk is Chinese to me.... I'm not that advanced of a mechanic. That's what I was wondering tho, is it just a band aid that going to extend the life of the compressor for a couple years maybe, then I'll be replacing it and recharging again. The mechanic knows that I'm buying and installing the ac compressor myself, so he's not really trying to sell me anything there.

Is Sanden a decent replacement? Its the cheapest compressor on RockAuto.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Woa. All that static and ambient pressure talk is Chinese to me.... I'm not that advanced of a mechanic. That's what I was wondering tho, is it just a band aid that going to extend the life of the compressor for a couple years maybe, then I'll be replacing it and recharging again. The mechanic knows that I'm buying and installing the ac compressor myself, so he's not really trying to sell me anything there.

It's original equipment. If you can get it with a warranty for $158 (and you're happy with that) then go for it.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jamie57
I figure it this way. Sometime it's the cheapest part that needs replacing and sometime it's the most expensive.
My Grandfather taught me the KISS principle.
Keep it simple stupid!
The OP says he can get the clutch to engage with a screw driver.
Does the compressor check out fine after that? Are you getting the pressures required? No idea as his mechanic has told him to REPLACE the unit.
If you got lots of money well go ahead. Me? Not so much.
I'd take out the shim first and try that. Total cost? 1 hour of my time.
If it works OK now, and the compressor checks out fine then I know I need a clutch down the road. Maybe $50 -75. Compressor is fubared? well then buy a new compressor. Potential savings is at least $100. That's a tank of gas for me and maybe 2 for you guys south of here.
Calm down & read:
"The AC guy pulled the charge off the system and said if I bring it back after replacing the compressor, he'll put the charge on it without costing me any more."

His A/C system is once more, wait for it: DISCHARGED.

He asked and I replied, to him, thx.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

The clutch could be reliable for a couple of days or even weeks assuming the compressor is even functional. Given the compressor is 15 years old anyway, just replace it now and be done with it. I would replace the receiver/dryer along with all the o-rings while you have the system open too.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's crazy not to try it IMO. Remove a shim, wire brush the clutch faces. Save yourself 120$!!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
The clutch could be reliable for a couple of days or even weeks assuming the compressor is even functional. Given the compressor is 15 years old anyway, just replace it now and be done with it. I would replace the receiver/dryer along with all the o-rings while you have the system open too.
Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm gonna stick with this one. ^^ for me, spending a little money now, pays dividends down the road over hassling with a compressor that will give out again.

Quick Reply: Replace AC Clutch... or entire compressor?