Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Removing Upper Control Arm Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Removing Upper Control Arm Bolts

Hi all,
I'm trying to replace upper control arm bushings, and I spent 4 hours today trying to loosen the nuts and bolts from the driver side. I couldn't get them out.

On the frame side of the UCA, I was able to get the nut off after quite a bit of work and PB Blaster. I tapped the end of the bolt back very carefully into the housing. Then I got in the wheelwell and tried to pull the bolt out through the frame access hole. the metal tab is sort of in the way, but I used the tab as a lip to grab onto the bolt. I got it almost out all the way and it stuck. Wasn't going anywhere.

I could turn it clockwise/ccw with no trouble but it wasn't backing out the last few millimeters. Did it get caught, or is there a sneaky trick to get this sucker out?

Then, I tried to loosen up the axle mount UCA nut. I finally broke it free. I am wondering if I need the t55 torx socket, or can I just hammer that bolt out?

Finally, it occurred to me that replacing these bushings is MUCH harder than lower control arm bushings. I am always fighting the coil, or all the suspension gear (track bar, drag link). I just looked at the passenger side and I realized that the frame mount bolt on that side has just a few inches clearance so it's hard to get a hammer in there to pull that bolt out.

Do you need to pull the coils out to do this job, or can it be done with coils in?

I have to say that out of all the things I've done on my 3 XJ's over 10 years, UCA bushings are going to be the toughest. Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I replaced mine last week I had my XJ's frame suspended on 6ton Jackstands with the front axle on some 3 ton jackstands I used a breaker bar to loosen the nuts once they had 2 threads holding them on I wacked the nut with a Deadblow hammer and had my buddy pull the bolt out of the slot as I punched them through with a Punch. I did soak all my bolts with Kroil and PB blaster for a month before I started. On the axle end I had to cut mine off . I also had to cut off all of my lowers .