Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

removed door trim, unpleasant surprise

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default removed door trim, unpleasant surprise

took off the door trim today and it appears the PO had actually drilled in screws from the inside of the door to hold the trim on in various places when the adhesive had begun to come off. why i have no idea, and i didn't notice it when i bought the vehicle a few months ago. there is also some plastic black ***** that is not adhesive under one of the pieces of trim.

here's some pics of the damage. i'm totally new to the whole backyard mechanic thing and don't know what to do about the screw holes through the doors or the black plastic that's adhered to the body. any advice? i'm totally confused as to why the PO would screw the moulding in like that

screw

hole

screws out

black *****
Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Looks like it was a red neck fix lol
Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Registered Users

I say put the trim back on, so you dont have to worry about it.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Year: 1996 two-door SE
Engine: 4.0

Touch up the holes with paint and use something like silicone caulk to fill the holes and keep water out. Reinstall the bodyside molding using emblem adhesive tape.

Alternatively, you can place a small fiberglass/resin patch on the inside of the door skin. When dry, fill the hole on the outside with body filler. Sand filler and have color matched paint touch up done. You'll never see the old holes.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 PM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by jmm0122
I say put the trim back on, so you dont have to worry about it.
Sure if your lazy and want your truck to look like EDIT: poo.

This is what i would recommend. sand sand sand. Sand off that rust sand off that black ****. All the way down to the bare metal. Bondo the holes. Then what a lot of xjer's do is take bed liner and spray/paint *pending on which kind you get* and paint that bottom part of the truck all the way around. I have yet to do this but i plan on doing it when i get my xj back. Im sure their is someone on here that has more experience than me with this kind of stuff.

Last edited by OverlandZJ; 05-25-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: stop bypassing language filter
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Well its entirley up to you and what you are capable of doing, but if it was me i would do everthing he ^ was saying but instead of bondo weld the holes in.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by jhosgood
Sure if your lazy and want your truck to look like EDIT: poo.

This is what i would recommend. sand sand sand. Sand off that rust sand off that black ****. All the way down to the bare metal. Bondo the holes. Then what a lot of xjer's do is take bed liner and spray/paint *pending on which kind you get* and paint that bottom part of the truck all the way around. I have yet to do this but i plan on doing it when i get my xj back. Im sure their is someone on here that has more experience than me with this kind of stuff.
Im not quite following you on making your jeep look like "poo". Its factory trim, meaning it came like that, so if your "lazy" or just dont want to us bondo you can put it back on and not worry about it as i stated before. Just an option but thanks for your input.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM

Engine: 4.0 H.O

Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper
Looks like it was a red neck fix lol

... naw, redneck would've been if the PO had screwed down the trim from the outside... lol.

but yeah,to fix it right id go with what jhosgood said and sand down the rust to the bare metal, bondo the screw holes, and sand, primer and paint or do the bedliner deal.. Which, would probably be a lot easier, cleaner looking instead of trying to color match and repaint that whole area.. if you can get to the holes from the inside, sand off the rust there too and put a "splotch (body shop technical term)" of bondo on them from there too to seal the hole and help prevent further rust from both sides..
Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM

Engine: 4.0 H.O

... you might want to put the factory trim back on though.. it helps to stabilize the unibody.. reuse the rusty screws, rust works better than loctite, most times... bah ha haha....
Old 05-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Nicks93
... you might want to put the factory trim back on though.. it helps to stabilize the unibody.. reuse the rusty screws, rust works better than loctite, most times... bah ha haha....
haha. all true facts
Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

At first when I started reading this I thought "What is this guy talking about?!?!?!?" lol glad it was only a joke. What some people on here do, is down right scary lol
Old 05-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 lt 6cyl

lol everyu one knows that it also adds 10 hp lol
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by dfm_13
lol everyu one knows that it also adds 10 hp lol
only if you use toyota gas pedal parts...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Ok, my mind is blown, the PO must have put four times the work into that hatchet job repair than would have been required to repair it correctly. I can only imagine my reaction had I found that when I pulled mine, I'm picturing all my neighbors looking out the window and saying "Whys that guy stomping his feet, throwing tools and punching his Jeep?" At this point I'd say you got two options, seal the holes and reattach the trim (the right way), or patch the holes and do your best to match the paint above the bodyline and bedline below it. That sucks man! The PO needs to be slapped!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:17 AM

Year: 1996 two-door SE

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
Ok, my mind is blown, the PO must have put four times the work into that hatchet job repair than would have been required to repair it correctly. I can only imagine my reaction had I found that when I pulled mine, I'm picturing all my neighbors looking out the window and saying "Whys that guy stomping his feet, throwing tools and punching his Jeep?" At this point I'd say you got two options, seal the holes and reattach the trim (the right way), or patch the holes and do your best to match the paint above the bodyline and bedline below it. That sucks man! The PO needs to be slapped!
Yeh, it sucks, but whad'r ya gonna do? The easiest alternative to me since you want the body side molding off is to use glue remover (Oops, Goof Off, etc.) to remove the black tar/adhesive. Try the Bondo body filler on the holes (welding the holes shut would be stronger). Hire a paint touch up guy who can match the paint (all the dealerships use them). It would probably cost you time but less than $100.

Quick Reply: removed door trim, unpleasant surprise