Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Reman power steering pump - no pressure at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Reman power steering pump - no pressure at idle

I replaced the lines, power steering pump, and res this weekend because my old one was leaking like a sieve.

Ordered it from Rockauto.com for $40 + $40 (core) = $80 roughly.

Anyways, threw the new pump back in (after cutting off the original lines and using a deepwell socket + breaker bar on the steering gear connections), considerable amount of effort getting the pulley swapped over (DO THIS WITH THE PUMP MOUNTED ON THE MOTOR, SO MUCH EASIER), and getting the system 100% bled.

Annndd....
I have no power steering at idle, and it makes a really bad clicking/whirring noise when I put pressure on the wheel (right before turning) that gets worse if I try to wrench the wheel without giving it any gas, that turns into a really bad whirring once I get full lock.

I'm not swapping the original one back on because I am lazy and have other **** to do, but this does sound like a bad PS pump, correct?

No slipping of the belt, actually I think the bearing on the old one was going out because it grinds pretty bad and with the AC on, it would squeak sometimes right at start-up when I turned the wheel.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

So I need to resurrect this thread, because after 3 new PS pumps, I am still having issues.

First one had no pressure at idle, sent it back.
Second one worked well until the bearing exploded and shot the impeller shaft out of the front of the PS pump.

Third pump which is from a reputable rebuilder in Denver is also having pressure issues at idle but not as severe as the first reman pump.

The rebuilder wanted me to cycle the pressure valve inside the high-pressure fitting and it moves smoothly. Everything else about this pump feels good, and the rebuilder is adamant that it produced great pressure when he bench tested it right before he gave it to me.

Does anyone know what the actual issue here is? Freshly rebuilt pump - everything should be more or less brand new inside - the guy is known for being top notch in quality, but I am getting sick of removing and replacing the power steering pump!

Last edited by investinwaffles; 03-22-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

From what I've read reman pumps are a gamble, sometimes you'll get a good one but more often than not you'll get one that has issues.

You could always buy a new PSC pump, definitely more expensive but good quality. Any issues with the steering box itself?
Old 03-23-2017, 02:28 AM
CF Veteran

Steering box is actually brand new from the same rebuilder and feels fantastic, like a brand new Jeep.

He is telling me to pull the pump and bring it to him on Friday, but the Jeep is my only vehicle and getting around is a PITA without it.
Going to call him and see if he is OK with me doing it in the street in front of his shop (fairly quiet area, should be fine with it). I am now a master at changing a power steering pump in an XJ at least...
Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Just tossing this out there.... hows the seal between the pump and the resevoir? if that seal was pinched or dried out it could explain your symptoms.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

The o-ring you mean? It was replaced when I re-did the pump. Reservoir is a new replacement - everything seems to be fine in that regard.

New development though -
I think I may still have metal in the system. I did another flush and fill using my siphon syringe and the PS Fluid was almost "shimmering" but it was really dark and I couldn't tell if it was just aeration from siphoning the fluid out of the res - or if it was metal particles. After flushing the system AGAIN - and cycling the pressure valve and spring it seems that it made a slight improvement not at 100% idle, but with barely any RPM.

I have to fly out on Friday afternoon and don't know if I will be able to actually drop the pump off at the rebuilders so this may end up on "hold" till I return next Thursday

EDIT:
False alarm on the improvement - still no power steering at idle.

Last edited by investinwaffles; 03-23-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Sorry for reviving your thread, but I am having the exact same symptoms. Went through 3 NAPA pumps, got frustrated and ordered a new Mopar one. Still getting the same noise/symptoms. Any luck figuring it out?