Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear shock bolts broke..now what??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear shock bolts broke..now what??

Any help or advice will be appreciated, I was trying to replace the rear shocks on my 2000 Cherokee sport and broke the top bolts which seems to be the case so often, tried drilling and ez outing them but the ez out broke off in there also.. What are my options?? Can I weld the top of the shock to the frame and bolt the bottom or is this not a good idea...
Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I wouldn't weld them on there. You can use a hammer and punch or an air hammer to knock the bolts out of the frame where they're welded in from the factory. Then, you can put new nuts and bolts in their place. My buddy used a long flexible claw tool to hold the end of a bolt, put it in through the hole on the inboard side of the body where the shock mounts and dropping it through the hole where the nut was welded in place. Repeat for both sides, guide the shock onto the end of the bolt that will be hanging down, thread on a locknut, and you're good to go. You'll need a long box end wrench to hold the bolt in place while you tighten the locknut. Definitely easiest to do on a lift..
Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

I ended up cutting a small access hole in the floor above the shock mount, then bolted in bar pin eliminators homemade from the rear swaybar brackets, so I'll never have to deal with those bolts again.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

this should help

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/s...-heavy-323809/

I used some string to get the bolts into place instead of a magnetic tool. just tie it to the end of the threads and pull it back threw the hole. I just did this last week and it can be done without an air hammer.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

more pics for ya
Attached Thumbnails Rear shock bolts broke..now what??-shock-bolt-day3.jpg   Rear shock bolts broke..now what??-shock-bolt-day1.jpg   Rear shock bolts broke..now what??-shock-bolt-day2.jpg  
Old 09-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by opake
I wouldn't weld them on there. You can use a hammer and punch or an air hammer to knock the bolts out of the frame where they're welded in from the factory. Then, you can put new nuts and bolts in their place. My buddy used a long flexible claw tool to hold the end of a bolt, put it in through the hole on the inboard side of the body where the shock mounts and dropping it through the hole where the nut was welded in place. Repeat for both sides, guide the shock onto the end of the bolt that will be hanging down, thread on a locknut, and you're good to go. You'll need a long box end wrench to hold the bolt in place while you tighten the locknut. Definitely easiest to do on a lift..
opake, thanks a million, took your advice and drove the welded nuts w/broken bolts out and fished new 10.9's in the holes, replaced with new shocks and presto... problem fixed... To bad your not from Michigan, I'd buy ya a few beers... Thanks to all the other posters for the info also, greatly appreciated..