Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear main seal replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default rear main seal replacement.

well im using this site ... http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearMain.htm...... and where it says.

"""Make sure you keep a finger hard against the seal where it goes into the block pushing across it. If you don't you can damage the seal as it will try to bend outwards and nick the outside of the seal. I could not take a picture of doing this as was on my own. If with some one you can get them to rotate the crank by using a breaker bar on the harmonic pulley retaining bolt while pushing the seal into place. Stop when the ends are level. """

what does that mean?? since im doing it solo.. whats it mean to do with my finger?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by spahr69
well im using this site ... http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearMain.htm...... and where it says.

"""Make sure you keep a finger hard against the seal where it goes into the block pushing across it. If you don't you can damage the seal as it will try to bend outwards and nick the outside of the seal. I could not take a picture of doing this as was on my own. If with some one you can get them to rotate the crank by using a breaker bar on the harmonic pulley retaining bolt while pushing the seal into place. Stop when the ends are level. """

what does that mean?? since im doing it solo.. whats it mean to do with my finger?
What hes saying is when you are replacing the seal keep your finger firmly on it and have it guide straight otherwise it may bend and become damaged if you lost control of it going straight in.

Another words, make sure you control it going in. Prep it with oil as stated.