Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear main seal cost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default Rear main seal cost?

Has anyone replaced the rear main seal on there Cherokee if so how much did it cost you to have it replaced?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rustablejeep
Has anyone replaced the rear main seal on there Cherokee if so how much did it cost you to have it replaced?
it's going to cost a whole lot more in labor then the $10 seal. You mechanically inclined?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

The costs for parts, like Martior mentioned are trival. $10 for a seal, probably $30-40 for a new oil pan gasket and an oil change. The couple hours of labor at $100/hour on avg turn it into a $300+ job to have it done.

It's something you can do yourself if you don't mind getting dirty.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

Old 01-23-2018, 06:31 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

WARNING!!!!!!

READ THIS FIRST!!

I’d be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn’t own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking. Many mechanics, friends, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don’t jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons:

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area.

Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber’s adage apply here: “Crap flows downhill”.

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995

^^^^^^^^^ x2

If Cruiser54 gives you advice or instructs you to do something, DO IT!
The following users liked this post:
89build66 (09-10-2019)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

I did it myself, took like 2 days, cost like 60 bucks all together. not fun.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

I got my Jeep cheap because a guy refused to buy it due to an oil leak and figured it was the rear main seal. $5 in o-rings and some tools I fixed the oil filter adapter and leak was gone.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 AM

Year: 1996

in my case oil is leaking from pretty much everywhere, but since i already had the gaskets i might as well do it anyways, but not that hard to do if you have the proper tools
Old 01-29-2018, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Originally Posted by cruiser54
WARNING!!!!!!

READ THIS FIRST!!

I’d be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn’t own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking. Many mechanics, friends, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don’t jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons:

Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber’s adage apply here: “Crap flows downhill”.

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.
Mine just started dripping some oil last week and you are right, it comes from below the RMS. But... in the short time I have had to look at the engine I can tell I have multiple slow leaks, the valve cover being one. So I am going to do as suggested and fix the easy ones first and see if it stops leaking.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:48 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthyMcStealth
Mine just started dripping some oil last week and you are right, it comes from below the RMS. But... in the short time I have had to look at the engine I can tell I have multiple slow leaks, the valve cover being one. So I am going to do as suggested and fix the easy ones first and see if it stops leaking.
Excellent plan!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by cruiser54
WARNING!!!!!!

READ THIS FIRST!!

X2, X3.. or whatever it is at this point. But ^^^this advice for oil leaks on our Cherokees is definitely the golden rule of steps to follow first. On mine it turned out to be the oil filter adapter seal. Easy fix.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Exclamation Oil Leak

Thank you all for this info...I am chasing down an oil leak right now..
Old 02-01-2018, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
X2, X3.. or whatever it is at this point. But ^^^this advice for oil leaks on our Cherokees is definitely the golden rule of steps to follow first. On mine it turned out to be the oil filter adapter seal. Easy fix.
I will X4 it. My "leaking rear main seal" turned out to be the oil psi sensor leaking out of where the plug goes. Then it dripped down the wiring right onto the block which ran back to the rear main seal.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

This is awesome thank you, I have literally just posted on another thread that I am attempting to locate and fix my leaks, possibly the oil pan and RMS, however after reading this, I will swap out the others first. The RMS seems like such a PITA too, so this may have just saved me a job. Thank you to you all.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal cost?