Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Main Leak Cause Jeep Not To Start?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear Main Leak Cause Jeep Not To Start?!?!

Ok so i think my cherokee has a rear main leak..theres a consterable amount of oil around the engine..my exhaust smokes. So Recently after running her all day driving around, she decides to shut off in the drive through at Micky D's. I noticed it had some exhaust smoke. I tried to restart with no sucess. So I got out and had to look like a fool to push it out the way, people probably gotta good show out the kid pushing the heep out of the way lol. So i walk to work and come back later and it starts right up. Next day it does it again at my friends house and it doesnt start up for a while. I thought at first it was overheating, but no fluid is being spilled or any noises of a heated engine. My oil pressure stays average i would say. But sometimes i would say it does look to be on the low side... ANY ADVICE GUYS?!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

I had a leak so bad on mine that it would fill up the bellhousing going up hill and going down hill it would look like it blew-up because of the oil on the exhaust,it never quit. Real main seal itself will not cause it to shut off,but if it slings enough up onto the cps and gets it coated with oil it could.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by mixed89
I had a leak so bad on mine that it would fill up the bellhousing going up hill and going down hill it would look like it blew-up because of the oil on the exhaust,it never quit. Real main seal itself will not cause it to shut off,but if it slings enough up onto the cps and gets it coated with oil it could.

If it slings enough onto the cps..then would it start after sitting like mine does. One time and moved my body weight side to side to rock the vechicle and it started?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Funny I am looking into buying a well taken care of '88 XJ from a guy that complains the Jeep overheats and the engine shuts down. For some reason he is convinced that it's the main rear seal. I don't believe it and am hoping it's an easy fix. Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by FishynTyme
Funny I am looking into buying a well taken care of '88 XJ from a guy that complains the Jeep overheats and the engine shuts down. For some reason he is convinced that it's the main rear seal. I don't believe it and am hoping it's an easy fix. Any suggestions?

Its never just that...i bought my 89 it had a bad oil leak and he didnt tell it over heated found that out driving home and a nice gas leak but he said it was the oil pan nope it was rear main seal,oil pan and valve cover and i replaced alot more and i put about over a $1,200 if u did plan on getting it plan puting money in it and alot of ur time to fix it. just Look at everything on it first. Hope this helped u
Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Year: 1999

Runs fine then randomly shuts off and won't restart for a while is a classic sign of a failing CPS. Regardless of if there's oil splattered all over it (not that it would help anyway).

If you have a multimeter and can catch it when it cuts off, unplug the CPS (Sensor is located on the top of the transmission bellhousing at about the 1:00 position if facing the front of the Jeep, and the plug should be on the drivers side right at the back of the intake and the bottom of the valve cover) and measure the resistance across the B and C terminals (three terminal plug, and if i'm not mistaken it's read A-B-C from left to right). Resistance should be infinite. If it is not, replace the sensor.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by UNCC_99XJ
Runs fine then randomly shuts off and won't restart for a while is a classic sign of a failing CPS. Regardless of if there's oil splattered all over it (not that it would help anyway).

If you have a multimeter and can catch it when it cuts off, unplug the CPS (Sensor is located on the top of the transmission bellhousing at about the 1:00 position if facing the front of the Jeep, and the plug should be on the drivers side right at the back of the intake and the bottom of the valve cover) and measure the resistance across the B and C terminals (three terminal plug, and if i'm not mistaken it's read A-B-C from left to right). Resistance should be infinite. If it is not, replace the sensor.
X2 on the CPS...Tj
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

You could try the battery ground at the engine block, if it is covered in oil it could cause engine issues.