Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear leaf springs

Old 08-14-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default rear leaf springs

well i started to replace the rear springs on my 1991 cherokee then comes the road block the nut broke loose from the front mount bracket by then it started to rain on me so i quit for the day my question is how difficult is it to replace that bracket i've ordered a new one dont look to bad but then again nothing has been easy with this jeepany help would be great
Old 08-15-2016, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Punctuation is free.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:13 AM

thanks for the worldly advice there still dont bring me any flippin closer to to understanding the next step i should take beside i dont write books and illustrations of subjects that everyone in this forum knows all to well
Old 08-15-2016, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by danno160
thanks for the worldly advice there still dont bring me any flippin closer to to understanding the next step i should take beside i dont write books and illustrations of subjects that everyone in this forum knows all to well
It is a little hard to understand. I also don't quite understand where exactly you broke a bolt. Inside the frame?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:09 AM

martlor13 i belive its the nut itself that broke free from the weld on the bracket the floor under the seat is not rusted out and i haven't cut a hole to see
Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

martlor13 i belive its the nut itself that broke free from the weld on the bracket the floor under the seat is not rusted out and i haven't cut a hole to see
From a teacher -- short and to the point

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art of capital letters.

For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement:

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that?

On a more serious note, you are hurting yourself by not using punctuation. The guys who could really help will skip over posts like that. Proven fact.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:06 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Dozens of threads on the topic if you search.
Don't argue or insult the highly respected members of this forum. They can save you thousands if you're nice about it. You'll never find a shop with as much knowledge as two of the members on this board.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

The welded nut you are going after is not in the frame. Many folks start tearing into this problem without understanding where the nut actually resides, and end up creating a lot of damage. The nut sits in the pocket on the side of the frame rail. It is best accessed from beneath (outside the vehicle) by cutting into the bottom of the pocket, and accessing with a box wrench. The new nut does not necessarily need to be welded back in, but many choose to have it welded back in so that they can weld back up the "pocket" and restore it back to its original configuration.

The following post on naxja has a picture to help explain (I just used google to find the first post with a picture that would help).

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83631
Old 08-15-2016, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by cruiser54
From a teacher -- short and to the point

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art of capital letters.

For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement:

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that?

On a more serious note, you are hurting yourself by not using punctuation. The guys who could really help will skip over posts like that. Proven fact.
Mic Drop
Old 08-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Thank you Jordan I hadn't thought of that
Old 08-15-2016, 02:46 PM

Year: 1993
Thumbs down

well i started to replace the rear springs on my 1991 cherokee then comes the road block the nut broke loose from the front mount bracket by then it started to rain on me so i quit for the day my question is how difficult is it to replace that bracket i've ordered a new one dont look to bad but then again nothing has been easy with this jeepany help would be great
Danno, this thread may help, and beware of BRM and his "5 Golden Rules"... I believe you have violated (at least) rule #5...

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Punctuation is free.
BRM, based on our 4.0 discussion (and your sig) I had a feeling you were the one. Might I suggest a BRM Golden Rule #6 regarding punctuation.

Castor oil...
Old 08-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Carry on, nothing to see here.

Last edited by HYRYSC; 08-15-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:40 PM

Hey this is my first time posting anything here, but I'm guessing you broke the front spring bolt's captured nut that resides inside the frame. I don't have any remedies for this (my apologies), but I will strongly suggest that anyone in the rust belt who reading this and is worried about the same problem should consider cutting the spring eye out and not bothering to get the bolt out on its own. I just finished putting a 3 inch RC lift on my 2000 XJ. I spent about 2 hours getting one side done and 45 minutes on the other. Once I had the inner bushing sleeves exposed I chiseled the seam open and sprayed with PB blaster and let sit over night. The next morning I heated the sleeves and bolts and broke them loose. Everything broke loose and came out easily. To me this seemed like an easier process than horsing out the bolts only to find I've stripped the nut threads or broken the nut loose altogether. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys it was a great help
Old 08-15-2016, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by SS396
Hey this is my first time posting anything here, but I'm guessing you broke the front spring bolt's captured nut that resides inside the frame. I don't have any remedies for this (my apologies), but I will strongly suggest that anyone in the rust belt who reading this and is worried about the same problem should consider cutting the spring eye out and not bothering to get the bolt out on its own. I just finished putting a 3 inch RC lift on my 2000 XJ. I spent about 2 hours getting one side done and 45 minutes on the other. Once I had the inner bushing sleeves exposed I chiseled the seam open and sprayed with PB blaster and let sit over night. The next morning I heated the sleeves and bolts and broke them loose. Everything broke loose and came out easily. To me this seemed like an easier process than horsing out the bolts only to find I've stripped the nut threads or broken the nut loose altogether. Just my thoughts.

Interesting approach. Got pics? I'm sure a lot of us would be interested!

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 08-15-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear leaf springs