Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear End Damage

Old 08-29-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Inline 6, 4.0 Liter
Unhappy Rear End Damage

Hey, I need help with inspecting my rear bumper after a minor rear end accident, they weren't moving and I backed into them (I wasn't on the accelerator it was a very minor hit) The only damage was my quarterpanel being knocked out of place, and some paint transfer, but what should I look for when it comes to misalignment and transmission (since it's an RWD)
1997 Jeep Cherokee Country
Old 08-29-2018, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I highly doubt you hurt anything if the accident was as minor as you say it was. I have seen where people backed full throttle into a tree before and all it did was damage the bumper and back hatch.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

When you say 1/4 panel, are you referring to the end cap on the bumper, or the actual 1/4 panel of the body? Post a pic if its the latter. If its just the endcap, you can bend that back into shape by hand most of the time if need be. Sometimes they bow a little and thats it. A new endcap can be had for $20 or less if yours is junk.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:13 PM

Im referring to the bumper cap. Should be fine I guess, I was more afraid since its an RWD.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I highly doubt you hurt anything if the accident was as minor as you say it was. I have seen where people backed full throttle into a tree before and all it did was damage the bumper and back hatch.
alright, Its my first vehicle, I assumed everything would be fine but figured I should post here anyways.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Nonsense these things can take a good hit. Mine was backed into a pole, a tree, rear ended.... twice and smacked pretty good in the front and only minor bumps and bruises on the bumpers. First rear end was an old lady mistaking the gas for the brake and boop right into me. Only a minor scratch. Second was i was at a stop sign and i went to go but stopped because i just seen a car flying down the road so i stopped again until he passed and the lady behind me thought i was going too and slammed into me. A pretty obnoxious dent in the rear bumper afterwards and i cant close the hatch properly since the dent was there sooo took a wood block and a hammer and whacked it back down and a ok now. then the last one and a pretty good hit was a guy in front of me was pissed because this old person was taking forever to back out and wouldnt budge (despite having ample room to do so) so he shoved it into reverse and floored it backwards and thank god he had a trailer hitch because that truck was atleast close to 7000 pounds as it was a fullsize nissan titan full of tools, Once he hit me he pushed me back a good close to 10 feet back and my front bumper only had a dent. Ill admit these take a good hit so i highly doubt your jeep is totaled. They make them strong enough to offroad..... and hit a few trees lol
Old 08-30-2018, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by EEVEE
Nonsense these things can take a good hit. Mine was backed into a pole, a tree, rear ended.... twice and smacked pretty good in the front and only minor bumps and bruises on the bumpers. First rear end was an old lady mistaking the gas for the brake and boop right into me. Only a minor scratch. Second was i was at a stop sign and i went to go but stopped because i just seen a car flying down the road so i stopped again until he passed and the lady behind me thought i was going too and slammed into me. A pretty obnoxious dent in the rear bumper afterwards and i cant close the hatch properly since the dent was there sooo took a wood block and a hammer and whacked it back down and a ok now. then the last one and a pretty good hit was a guy in front of me was pissed because this old person was taking forever to back out and wouldnt budge (despite having ample room to do so) so he shoved it into reverse and floored it backwards and thank god he had a trailer hitch because that truck was atleast close to 7000 pounds as it was a fullsize nissan titan full of tools, Once he hit me he pushed me back a good close to 10 feet back and my front bumper only had a dent. Ill admit these take a good hit so i highly doubt your jeep is totaled. They make them strong enough to offroad..... and hit a few trees lol
Old lady,
crazy unpredictable driver,
Old person.

So Florida IS exactly as we uppity yankees imagine it?
Old 08-30-2018, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Old lady,
crazy unpredictable driver,
Old person.

So Florida IS exactly as we uppity yankees imagine it?
pretty much lol, Scariest moment was in pouring rain at like 40 mph (speed limit was 60) some dude thought it was awesome to slam on his brakes right when the light turned yellow. Abs vs non abs is a big difference in rain lol.