Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear diff grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default rear diff grinding noise

hello everybody. im new to forums so if i make any mistakes please let me no so i can fix them. the reason y i joined is because my little sister recived a 92 cherokee for her graduation gift from my grand parents. in the last month or so its developed a slight grinding noise wen going around corners and since ahe got it both axle shafts move an of an inch horizontally. so earlier today i pulled the hat off to inspect the guts of the dana 35. i found that both axel shaft ends are slightly mushroomed because it looks like they are rubbing on the bar that holds both the spider gears in place. im wondering is this normal wear or am i going to have to pull the axles and replace the outter axle bearings and races ?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Pictures would be helpful. I would suspect the noise it the wheel bearings, at the end of the axle. But the carrier bearings, in the pumkin, could be bad also. There should be a little in/out movemnet of the axle. It is a C-clip floating type axle after-all. I would pull the axles and strat by doint the outer beraing and races.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Ill try to get some pics later today to be more help full. thanks for the advice.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to OEM tech
Old 06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

since the noise is more pronounced around corners and not so much when going straight (from the info you provided) then i would say it is the spider gears going bad. if you have that much freeplay in the shafts, then the spider gear bearings are either worn down or the teeth on the gears are wearing out. just pull one shaft out, remove the drive shaft and rotate the connected shaft so the spider gears will cycle, if you get a grinding noise, switch shafts. if you get the same noise, then you found your problem.

now if that is your problem, remove both shafts, pull the carrier (make sure you mark the main caps as they need to be replaced in the same location in the same mannor they were removed), pop the retaining pin out and then the gears should just pull out. replace them, reinstall (same as removed just backwards) and you should be good to go.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 PM

so i just pulled out the axle on the passenger side and found burrs all along the edge of the axle that has been rubbing. On the shaft that links the spider gears, i found the axles have worn groves onto it. also wen i pushed the axles in once i pulled out the spider gear shaft out, both of the c clips fell out. with the passenger side axle out i spun the drivers side axle to check the movement of the spider gears and looks normal to me
Old 06-22-2011, 11:33 PM

as for pics am in the proccess of taking them now n will post as soon as i can
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 PM

got a mac wont load the pic