Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rattle when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Rattle when coming to a stop

I noticed this popped up a month ago, But say im getting something from the drive thru and i go to stop theres a rattle sound when coming to a stop. Then once i stop it rattles a little more then stops. What could this be? Heat shield above the exhaust or what else?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

What year? Engine? Mods? Mileage?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

99, 4.0 and is stock with 205k miles
Old 10-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

It could be the exhaust pipe hitting the cross member. I would get under there and shake the exhaust and see if anything is rubbing or moving. if it is hitting the cross member take a floor jack under the cat and jack it up a little.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a rattle too, goes away in neutral but comes in drive with brakes pressed.. got it down to the catalitic converter, read somewhere could be the metal plates (honeycones) that get lose over time.. exhaust is not rubbing on anything. i dont think there is much to do about this part from buying a new cat.

when the engine is cold and i tap on the cat i can hear the same exact sound, maybe you could try that too to locate it.

marc
Old 10-17-2017, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

ohhh well hai there mr loose exhaust clamp..... Whatcha.... Whatcha doing there hanging and rattlin around fer. You are quite annoying ya know. Well i think i found the rattle i gave one solid whack to the cat and that bounced around plus i also think its hitting the cross member as well but i cant conclude that. Plus gave me a good look on how the exhaust hangers are non existent in some spots. So for now i think im gonna rig a coat hanger in there for now to prevent it possibly falling out..... The more and more i dig into this thing the previous owner neglected to touch or has been touched by him and ruined lol, Seems he was under there already judging by the hose clamp between the cat and muffler in that joint and the metal hangers holding the heat shields up.... But that is kinda smart because he kept them there and not removed them and they dont seem to move much at all. Then the coat hanger hanging the tailpipe up but i knew that already and a d*** carved into the muffler. Poor jeep youre in good hands now.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol