Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Random Engine Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Random Engine Replacement Question

I came across a good deal on a built 351 cleveland..

Would it even be realiztic to throw that in my 88 cherokee that has the 4 liter now? Or too much work to be even worth it?

What am I looking at replacing? Just general items.. dont need specifics.

I just thought a burly *** V8 would be awesome in my jeep... its my toy car not my DD or anything.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Well if your not wanting to run any type of fuelinjection and just run it caburated then yes it will work.

You will need a few things to get it to work but you should be able to find the parts.

First you will need a engine to transmission adaptors, advance adaptors is a good place to start i know they have ones for 350 chevy's and ford 5.0 so they might have one for a 351.

once you have that you just need to fab up some motor mounts or buy the mounts made for the swap, again i know they make pre made ones for chevys and fords to drop in so i dont see why you shouldnt be able to find one or just get somebody to make then there not too hard.

once the engine is in you would need to see if a suspension lift is need to make sure there is good oil pan to axle clearance chevys i dont think there is a issue with 5.0's i think you need at least 4" of lift to clear there oil pan.

Other then mod some of the cables for the throttle and a few sensors that should be about it along with upgrading your cooling system to help with the v8.

I have a cousin who has a 5.0 v8 in his xj his took alot more work since he kept it fuel injected but if running carbs it wouldnt be to hard really since its not your dd then having it down while your fab things up would be good.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:29 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Nice that doesnt seem too bad.. I didnt know if I would have to replace the tranny too but if they make "converter adapter thingys" then thats awesome. I was thinking of Cowling the hood for clearance and some cooling.. I have a 4.5 inch lift now and I have done the swap to the 93 open system for cooling. So hopefully that would work.. I havent purchased the engine yet but im really thinking about it.... Event hough my wife would kill me.. but whatever its my toy .. not hers :P